Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can’t find Hygard oil

Deon · 2015-10-23 19:15

Went to a JD construction dealer (Brandt) today to buy Hygard transmission/differential oil for my 310D. To my surprise they didn't have any. The stock man said they now only sell Valpar oil. I have never heard of that oil brand and was leery to switch. After calling 2 other Brandt Tractor stores I was told the same thing. They claim it's just as good and it is specifically labeled as J20C transmission/differential oil for wet brakes and all. I went online and found only information directly published by Valpar. The price is about 20 or 30 % less so that is good. What do you guys know about this stuff?

Replies7
  1. #1El Hombre2015-10-24 13:01

    If it meets the standard, I don't see any reason it won't work. Ford has 134 oil for the whole tractor; hydraulics and the trans and rear axle. When I didn't know better 25 years ago, I topped up the axle with 'Universal' tractor oil. That caused the wet brakes to chatter and groan, so when enough leaked out, I bought the 134 at the dealer, even though it was twice the price of the 'Universal' oil. I can use the 'Universal' oil in the hydraulics and steering, but the trans and axle get the Ford stuff.

  2. #2cutting edge2015-10-28 23:38

    Same poop ,different pail...Brandt buys it in bulk and rebrands it.....get used to it

  3. #3Deon2015-10-29 07:04

    I've that is an accurate answer I like it. To bad someone at Brandt didn't tell the people in the 3 Brandt stores I called.

  4. #4hosspuller2015-10-29 07:53

    The Valpar fluids sounded great for the price. Too bad it's only available in Canada and it's equal to –Low Vis Hy-Guard. I use regular Hy-Guard since the Tundra is far from me.

  5. #5Deon2015-10-29 17:43

    Hosspuller, can you elaborate a bit about Valpar's equality to Low Vis vs regular Hyguard. You know more about oil than I. Please educate me. Never mind. I went on the Deere website and read all about the Low-vis and all but how do we know if Valpar is actually repackaged Hi-Gard or at least equal to it.

  6. #6hosspuller2015-10-29 18:14

    From the Valpar site ... http://www.brandt.ca/SiteCollection...ansOil-AllSeason/TransOil-AllSeason-specs.pdf If you click the link above ... look at the heading "Applications" It lists John Deere J20D, J20B, –Low Vis Hy-Guard From that I infer that Brandts, transoil-allseason is equal to Low Vis Hy-Guard. I use the regular Hy-Guard. Not likely I'll see more than a week of freezing temperatures in my neck of the woods. :woohoo:woohoo Since Brandt only sells the stuff in Canada, likely all their customers NEED Low-Vis :canada

  7. #7RBMcCloskey2015-10-29 18:29

    Try D-A Lubricants Inc. the ship to Canada. http://www.dalube.com/pdfs/Hyd100.pdf