Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can’t get 580B rear wheel back ON

Kate788 ยท 2020-06-16 11:07

OK, I am so freaking frustrated can I get some suggestions??? After EVERYTHING I did on my case 580B (took differential apart, replaced LH side gear, pulled and replaced bearings on both axles, adjusted breaks, etc etc) I have it all back together and ready to. EXCEPT: I CAN'T GET THE FRIGGING LEFT REAR WHEEL BACK ON?!??!! It came off easily but now I can't get the rim back on over the axle. It just barely starts to go on over the axle and then gets stuck and won't budge. Can;t wiggle it, can't rotate it. My husband suggested long lug nuts but I don't want to end up with a wheel that I then can't ever get off. Can I just sand the inside of the rim and get some clearance? Or is that a Bad Idea (TM)?

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-06-16 11:21

    Put a bar under the tire and pry up slightly while pushing in on the wheel. A stabilizer (outrigger) is usually what I use to get the wheel in the sweet spot for them to slide on. If the flange is badly rusted, sure sand it until it is shiny.

  2. #2Mr580backhoe!2020-06-16 13:57

    I had the same issue with my 580c I ended up having to sand the flange till it was shiny then it slid righ on. Also check and make sure there isnt a bur on the rim where it goes over the flange.

  3. #3Vetech632020-06-16 16:11

    Beer helps. Its probably wedged. NOOO! Perfect!

  4. #4Kate7882020-06-16 16:52

    Thanks everyone! I took a stripping disk to it, made the inside of the rim and the axle flange shiny, and it slid right on. It took me about 3 weeks to get all the repairs done and it probably got some extra rust on it during that time (sitting out in the rain). I greased the contact surfaces so it will be easier next time.