Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

can the caterpillar 3304 engine be tuned up.

watchzeitgeist ยท 2016-02-19 15:20

Hi there. I have a cat 215 with a 3304 engine but it loses power especially when tracking. Can this engine be tuned up. I know the 229d has this engine and produces 157 fwhp. I wonder if caterpillar changed the injectors to get that amount of power.

Replies13
  1. #1lantraxco2016-02-19 15:55

    Hmmm.... just getting it back up to snuff may be a big help, I imagine it's got lots of hours? As a guess, different horsepower would require at least changing pistons, injectors, injection pump settings, turbocharger, maybe camshaft? Better minds will correct me.... Another thing, if the center swivel joint seals are tired, or the travel motors, or the pumps, well you get the idea... you may be throwing horsepower away pumping high pressure oil through internal bypasses back to tank. How's the heat in the hydraulic tank?

  2. #2watchzeitgeist2016-02-19 16:15

    Thanks for the reply. There's no exessive heat in the tank as far as I know. It could be that the travel motors are probably tired. It's a fairly old machine alright but the engine and pump are from the later 215c.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-02-19 16:43

    I would suspect the swivel joint seals first, if you have or can borrow a laser heat gun, check it for temperature after travelling some distance. Also might be good to check pressures in all circuits to make sure everything is working correctly.

  4. #4watchzeitgeist2016-02-19 16:55

    By the swivel joint seals do you have to remove the swivel joint and open it up to get at them. Thanks, John.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-02-19 17:25

    To replace them yes, or at least disassemble it in place, not sure on that model which is easiest. As far as measuring the temp, you can just aim for the outside of the housing, from on top or underneath wherever there's a clear shot.

  6. #6watchzeitgeist2016-02-19 17:37

    Thanks for that Ian. Regards John.

  7. #7mitch5042016-02-19 22:22

    On a 215c it'd be well worth it to pull the swivel to reseal it, I'm not even sure you could do it in place, I assume a regular 215 is similar. I have a 215c with the 3304, and it's not weak. A 215 is smaller and lighter than a 215c, so you must have something not right. How is your power booming up?

  8. #8watchzeitgeist2016-02-20 08:23

    Hi Mitch. It loses power booming up as well. That's the other issue with it. Do you have an idea what's going on with it?

  9. #9watchzeitgeist2016-02-20 09:05

    Hi Mitch. It loses power booming up as well. That's the other issue with it. Do you have an idea what's going on with it?

  10. #10Nige2016-02-20 09:55

    While seconding other posters suggestions that any tracking issues might well point to the swivel (a reseal would be the first point to start) I would say that from the sound of your posts it appears as though the whole machine could do with a tuneup in order to get it working correctly according to the factory spec. Making modifications to increase the engine power is not the way to go in my opinion, if you get all the machine systems correctly adjusted then the standard engine power should be more than adequate. Here's a list of what I'd suggest: - 1. Full service of the engine including replacement of all oil/fuel/air filters plus adjusting the valves. 2. Check fuel system pressure and turbo boost. 3. Check operation of fuel injection pump and injectors. (this will need the services of a fuel injection specialist) 4. Check inlet, exhaust, turbo, & coolant temperatures with the machine in normal operating condition. 5. Complete hydraulic system tuneup including setting/adjusting both pilot and main hydraulic systems. Others will probably chime in with more suggestions. To carry out a large part of the above tests will require specialised tooling which you may not have. it might be worth your while to get someone in to do it for you. Based on a Serial Number all the relevant specifications for your machine can be obtained plus testing & adjusting procedures if you need them, so you don't necessarily need to be calling your local Cat dealer.

  11. #11John C.2016-02-20 11:31

    I would suggest the first item to check might be the control linkages to see if they are getting full stroke. I believe the 215 might be new enough to have variable flow piston pumps with a horsepower summation system installed to keep them from overrunning the engine horsepower. I would suggest that finding a knowledgeable mechanic somewhere might save you a lot of money. While the swivel is a likely problem in these machines there are ways to test that without yanking the beast out and throwing seals in. It is also very likely that one of the pumps has lost some efficiency which may or may not be adjusted up some to compensate. The price of knowledge in this case may provide a better result than just buying parts.

  12. #12watchzeitgeist2016-02-21 07:39

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think it'll be worth asking a mechanic to test it alright.

  13. #13Hanco2016-02-21 08:37

    I'd second what nige is telling you , it would be money well spent to have your pressures checked and your rpm is up to spec . I had my local dealer out for a Hydraulic heating issue , which I thought might be a major repair . The guy that came was great , found a valve that controls flow to cooler had fell apart all parts still in it just threaded apart. He reassembled it ,reinstalled it and no more heating up . The strange part is it changed the performance of the machine. It's faster digging and travels way faster . Cost was around 800.00 . I was happy