One of my guys brought that up on that old D7 we have the final problems with. Just a question someone might know the answer to. We are slowly getting our heads together to tackle that project again this summer. Thank you
Yeah I suppose they do that all the time in places like India, just watch some of the youtube videos from there, and working on equipment. A flame spray maybe the way to go, not sure.
One of my guys is really a smart bugger and it kind of a machinist by experience. He figured they could be done
Here's another question. I know they do on site spindle repair and so on on trucks. Would it be possible to get someone to come out to my site and do that so we don't have to pull the Dead shafts? Is there such a setup?
This maybe a total silly idea. But could the threads be cut off and the shaft drilled and threaded for a stud or bult to be used or a series of bolts like whats on the end of a high track pivot shaft. I never work on any of the big low tracks.
What is an "old D7". For some people old might be a D7H, for others a D7 3T is old and others think the D7E is the pinnacle of design and are just waiting for this "high drive" fad to end. It also helps to know what old is because parts availability changes with age. From what I understand the younger D7E plus the D7F and D7G all used the same dead axle and are readily available, so why would you bother with a suspect repair. Older ones may not be so easily obtained and you have to do a repair.
D7E. And yes the shafts are available. It was just a thought one of my guys brought up. Aftermarket they're about 1200 bucks a piece. I think from Cat they're about three or four grand. So it could be a substantial savings. But I agree I don't want to do anything shady and have it fail
When people mention D7E, I picture that hybrid monstrosity. Because I went to a 40 hour school on them. Whatever happened to that that machine? One was sold in Alaska around 2o12. OMG.
I would imagine most of those new D7E's went to government and corporations looking for wank, I mean woke points.
What is the plan for straightening them? From what I've read on here, they are all usually bent when they get taken apart.
I guess we would have to check for straightness once we get it apart. And we may just end up buying new ones. This is just a thought
The diesel/electric 7E is discontinued. But there is now a diesel/electric D6 xe and D11 xe in the lineup.