Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

can we safely substitute AW/32 10 weight for T0-4 10 weight when hose busts cat320c

Mountainmover ยท 2014-08-24 13:03

Hello, I have had a few hose busts lately on my CAT 320c. I am having trouble finding access to TO-4 10 weight hydraulic fluid at times. It is Sunday and I need my machine to be prepping a set of football field concrete bleachers in the early AM. I blew a hose and just replaced it and I cannot get T0-4 10 weight fluid until tuesday afternoon. But, I can get AW/32 10 weight which was a TO-2 spec in older excavators. I have been very strict to run the T0-4 fluid. IS it harmful to supplement with an occasional AW/32? I am very particular about this machine and it's longetivity.

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-24 14:33

    Not familiar with the 320C, but I would have thought the spec would be CAT HYDO oil, not the TO-4? For any excavator I would recommend AW46, not the 32, but in a pinch you should be okay if it's just a few gallons. Probably want to do a filter service and complete hydraulic oil change soon to get her back in shape, could be getting some hose bits and other contamination if you've had to change several hoses.

  2. #2ben46a2014-08-25 14:33

    Should be HYDO or 46, not T0-4.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-08-25 15:05

    I ran into that with our 725's. The Op Manual shows 10w TDTO in the hyd system but the dealer said to run HYDO, they told my I was mistaken so I got the book and showed them. They don't even stock 10w TDTO. I use AW46 to top off if I'm out of HYDO.

  4. #4Nige2014-08-25 16:15

    You can run TO-4 in any system that uses HYDO as a specification, but not the reverse. The only difference is the TO-4 additives. We run SAE10W TO-4 in all our hydraulics (where HYDO is specified) as well as in systems like converter/hoist/brake cooling circuits on trucks where a TO-4 is mandated. It means we only have to stock one type of 10W oil instead of two and there is no chance someone will drop HYDO into a system that needs a TO-4 oil. To the OP - AW32 is the equivalent of 10W HYDO viscosity-wise. It's not mandatory to use a TO-4 oil in a 320C unless you use it in other your machines and it's easier for you. A HYDO oil would be fine. To Deeretracks - I had the same issue as your 725s in the converter/hoist & brake cooling system on 777F. The manual specifies a TO-4, I caught dealer techs putting HYDO in there when they first assembled the machines and had them drain it right back out again ..........

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-08-25 16:21

    Ah yes, I make sure to run SAE30 TDTO in the T/C and Trans along with the OTG. I stock so damn many oils now it's tough to keep straight.