Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC128 UU-1

wbvs58 ยท 2014-08-24 06:41

Hi I have been shifting a lot of dirt with my machine filling in a waterhole and doing a lot of swinging with a loaded bucket. I have noticed that there is a bit of a noise coming from below as I swing her around. The only grease points that I can find are two grease nipples, one at the front of the swing circle and one 180 degrees behind it. There is plenty of oil in the swing motor. I was wondering if there is some other grease/ lube points that I have missed. The noise is hard to describe but just a bit of a rumble that suggests to me that it could benefit from a bit of lubrication. Would anyone have any suggestions to help me out. Many thanks, Ken

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2014-08-24 10:24

    When did you buy the machine?

  2. #2lantraxco2014-08-24 14:56

    Not sure where on that machine, but somewhere you can add grease to the metal pan that the swing gear pinion runs in. Some machines I've worked with had a big pipe plug, others had a plate with two bolts. I remember one called for a tube of grease shot into the hole every so many hours. Some have a grease zerk with a line that feeds grease to a fitting tapped into the base plate of the upper frame near the swing drive. These you grease while turning the house to grease the whole gear circle. YMMV

  3. #3joispoi2014-08-24 15:19

    Lantraxco beat me to it. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but there's most likely a ring gear inspection plate somewhere under the boom. Chances are the grease has settled below the ring gear and has hardened up.

  4. #4smokey732014-08-24 22:57

    The inspection plate for that one should be under the boom just like the other PC's. It's a smaller egg or oval shaped plate with two bolts in it. The two grease points on the outside only lube the rotek and not the pinion.

  5. #5wbvs582014-08-25 19:43

    OK thanks guys, I'll have another good look for something. It quietened down a bit yesterday so possibly has worked a bit of grease that had settled but I'll keep searching until I find something. I have had the machine just coming up to 12 months. Ken

  6. #6John C.2014-08-27 19:01

    You might try looking under the floor mat in the cab for that plate. The other place I have seen them in to the opposite side of the cab. As I recall you had to remove the big cover on the corner to get to them.

  7. #7lantraxco2014-08-27 23:39

    I doubt it's relevant to this machine, but some of the minis I have worked on had a zerk mounted somewhere in the cab, so you could run a grease gun to grease the swing pinion as you slowly rotated the machine, lol.