I recently posted a blog post that received a lot of comments on different forums. Especially from the mobile crane operators. Now understand I wrote this for general industry standards since I was referring to plant cranes. However many mobile crane operators brought up a lot of good points and many were conflicting with each other. I am wondering what your thoughts were on this. If you have a below the hook device such as a spreader beam attached to the load block, is it ok to hoist it over someones head? Here is my blog post to see my opinion on the subject and the general industry standard regualtions on this as well. Overhead Crane Blog
I see rigging carried all the time at the aircraft plants. As for the actual aircraft parts being moved, the areas that I can actually see the part is being walked by spotters, I guess to clear the area of personnel.
That is certainly a good practice that they are doing then. Spotters seem to be rarely used in plants, so to hear that is great. The spotters should be helping the crane operator by letting them know that the load is secure, and clear of obstructions, and also to warn personnel to get out of the way. Thank you for your Comment!
It's hard to avoid swinging rigging over someones head, just try to keep an eye on shakle pins and anything else that could fall. Chris
When I used to also be in the home building biz dealing with modulars,guys would constantly walk under them while up in the air.So,so stupid.First thing my Dad-[crane and old hand operator] taught me was NEVER place ANY part of your body under anything being suspended in the air.Anything mechanical,made and operated by man can fail at any given time.Hard hats are fine but they certainly won't save your azz if a house falls on you.
Several years ago I was told about the hook falling off an overhead crane at a nuke plant in Alabama. The story was that there was no load and that it fell through a shack and killed a guy in it. This was one of those stories where supposedly the first thing safety wanted to know was if he was wearing a hard hat. I don't know if this is true or one of those stories made up to make a point but there should never be anyone under the hook, loaded or not. This applies to anything. I have seen way too many people walking under manlifts, excavators, forklifts, etc as well.
Welcome to the Forums Mike Kelly!:drinkup
Thanks. I have been lurking for a couple of months now.
Mike, that story is so terrifying and heartbreaking! I agree--its never safe to be under the hook, even if there is no load.
Years ago I worked at a plant next to die maintenance. They had 2 overhead cranes and always left the 4 leg bridles on them hanging where every they were using it last. I saw the maintenance workers get there clothing hug up on the hooks a few times when using a electric pallet jack. The production manager gave him self a black eye walking into the bridles one morning. At our shop there is a spot in the corner where the slings and bridles are hung that they park the overhead crane when not in use. If there using the crane a lot then it's to be park over some safety cones and have the hook or rigging at chest level.
It's good to see some more folks from Alabama on the board.:drinkup Would that be the Browns Ferry nuclear plant?
That's the one. I used to work some outages there. BORING!!! LOL The overtime was good though. Funny how back then I loved the OT jobs but now I'd kill for just 40 hours. Anyone know where I can get a job working 3/12s ?
I'm glad that you are taking precautions for safety at your shop. I can't believe that your old die plant would leave the bridles up like that! Did they keep doing that even after the production manager gave himself a black eye?
I think the rules changed, but I don't think anything else changed. 3 people could all do the same thing. One would get fired, one would get a slap to the hand, and one would get a bonus.
Wow, that sounds really frustrating...