Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can you hear or notice the backlash in your trans and finals ?!?

Timberking ยท 2014-09-11 17:40

As I was pushing in a road the other day with the 450B I noticed for the first time that when I shifted from Neutral to Low or Neutral to High or Forward to reverse I could hear and feel a good amount of backlash in the transmission and finals. I believe its the finals, trans and play between sprocket and bushings all added together that makes if feel like so much. Has anyone else ever noticed this ?? Is this a problem I should be worried about ? What do you think ? I know the trans gears and finals require backlash to operate properly but is it to much when you can actually hear or feel it ? It sounds like a distinct dull metallic '' Tink "

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-09-11 18:55

    If you have a new Electro shift with computer(ECM) they can easily shift overlap the gears and take much of it out. Not a big deal on dozers but a Real Deal on a scraper as they have many shifts. Electronics makes this a walk in the park compared to the old ICM's with Decay Orifus's . Shift overlap increases wear a bit but saves more damage elseware. Maybe check software if any used. Later Bob

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-09-11 19:06

    Software on a 450B? The only software on that is the seat cushion. I would take oil samples of the finals and trans. If there is excessive backlash somewhere the gears won't be meshing correctly. Also, for things to change inside either component you pretty much have to be failing a bearing or gear. Should show some metal in the oil.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-09-11 19:28

    Thanks for the input. Oil samples are the way to go. Later Bob

  4. #4wilko2014-09-11 22:41

    I'm not familiar with the B, but if it has a drive line between the engine and transmission I'd lift the floor and check the u-joint and yoke for wear.

  5. #5overworked2014-09-12 06:47

    It could also be in the reverser, I'm no john Deere pro, but I believe there is pressure adjustment, I would have to think harder, maybe in a book? Deeretracks might be quicker with the memory, that is after oil checks show nothing.

  6. #6grandpa2014-09-12 07:08

    Excessive wear in the tracks and sprockets can do that.... a lot of slop is also bad for the finals and driveline.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2014-09-12 09:25

    Is this a JD or a Case. The profile picture looks like a 450 Case but my eyes are not as good anymore.

  8. #8Deeretracks2014-09-12 10:46

    I was assuming Case by his pic.