Looks like they were built 1971-1983. I don’t think the B has anything to do with the Model. Because it only says 410 on side of Machine and it has the older style cab. Thanks for any help you can give.
Looks like they say: 4219DT 03 200718 410-B 134598
Your year range is correct . The B refers to , DIESEL, COLLAR SHIFT WITH REVERSER. The serial number arrangement is not compatible with the current Deere machine build data site. If you are looking for parts , in the equipment world the year doesn’t mean too much. The serial number is the most important piece of info.
It is up for sale and I’m considering it. But guy just told me it has a little over 9,000 hours. Says it runs good, transmission is strong, no smoke out stack. Too high of hours for my liking. I usually stay with low hour machines. I’m not a mechanic. Opinions?
Some more pictures he sent me….
A few more….
The machine’s 40-50 years old with 9000 + hours ! Unless you have a good buddy or relative that likes to wrench you better pass.
It doesn't look that bad for that many hours, but that's a lot of hoses and cylinders to leak, not to mention something that could happen to the trans, engine, steering etc. etc.
I can fix basic stuff. I have replaced hydraulic hoses, changed batteries, starters, fixed a good amount of basic electrical and mechanical issues. But I am FAR from a mechanic and do not enjoy it. I also have a couple of retired friends who I have paid to do repairs. But it’s the big stuff I worry about. Potential to get expensive quickly. It could go either way with this many hours. Depending on how the owners used and took care of it. In the past I have gone with machines that have had a few hundred to 5000 hours on them and have had good luck. Deere, Caterpillar, Bobcat, Kubota. With only minor problems. They are also easier to sell with lower hours. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the information and comments guys.
What’s he asking for it ??
He was at $11,000. But I decided to wait until I find something with lower hours. I thought he had it sold. But. He just sent me a text and he hasn't. So someone could probable get it for 10K
It is now for sale for $9500 if anyone is interested.
It's a twin to mine. Mine was a straight 410 1974 model year. Shortcomings were closed center hydraulics, radial 8 cylinder variable volume pump, (no mechanics understand them). Lack of a torque converter makes it less than perfect as a loader.
A loader without a torque converter is just stupid. But closed center hydraulics are superior to any gear pump of the day, much better operation, last much longer, overall SIMPLER than an open center on a tractor loader backhoe. Only downside, like lantraxco says, if it's all tied together and it grenades, it's silver all over.
Mine was something near 30 years old when I bought it. I paid $7500. First major excavation, half hour in, it ran out of digging power. There had been a dealer 25 miles from me. It was that week I discovered John Deere had closed them down. New centralized dealer is 60 miles from here. It sounded expensive to have the dealer repair. A local independent heavy equipment mechanic wanted to start with a new hydraulic pump. I believed the pump had already been replaced, a very expensive part to buy just to experiment. Somebody I spoke to by phone several states away said it was oil flowing somewhere it shouldn't. Find an infrared camera. Start up cold, as the oil begins to warm, you'll see where it's flowing. Turned out the backhoe valve had defective sections, probably since new. John Deere replacement was the whole six section valve, about $4600. New Hampshire Hydraulics supplied a component valve for $1400. but the joystick mechanism wouldn't fit the new valve. I ended up building new, a big project.