My ls180 has a 8922A182W injection pump which has got very hard to find. A 8920A671W looks identical but it’s off a higher horsepower engine. Will they interchange?
Doubtful .. Why not get yours rebuilt.. It’ll save u lots of money..
Send it to pumpguy AFTER he tells you how to remove it properly so you can get it back on right. Or post dozens of questions and buy the wrong pump and THEN send it to pumpguy. Joe H
I have it at a local pump shop. They said due to amount of damage it would cost $2400 and not sure how long it may take to get all the parts. He quoted a new one for $2700 and it would have to come from Italy.
I run into that problem too.. There’s a “work around” if your interested..?? But never mind if u toldm to get that other pump.. Btw.. did u time the engine BY THE BOOK before taking it off.??
I won’t tell anyone how to take it off, it’s WAY to complicated..& they NEVER LISTEN anyway..& all of a sudden it’s “my fault” that they gotta buy a manual for their machine and special tools.!! Same w the compact Fords..1000, 1500, 1700’s.. some people don’t have a problem pulling the front of the engine apart.. but here lately anybody with a set of Craftsman screwdrivers and a CLAW hammer thinks they can do it.!!
No I haven’t committed to any pump yet. This is a new engine build. So I took the pump ( that sat on the shelf for months ) and ask him to time it. He replied he could but with the dust and dirt he saw that he said it prolly won’t run. Well he was correct. Then I took front inspection plate off and rotated engine until timing marks aligned then removed pump. But I am not sure why you are aggressive with your comments. I don’t claim to be a pump technician is the reason I joined this forum to seek some help.
I’m not getting the aggressive comment,.. something must have gotten mis-read..?? A word of warning tho, aligning the timing marks aren’t gonna get u what u need.. It’s my understanding that u have drop a valve and put a dial indicator on it and rotate the engine and get “x” lift and then put the pump on.. The timing is split between the pump and the engine.. Hence “the book” comment. There have been several folks that have done this job on this site.. Maybe doing a search for your engine in the search bar will come up w something & u can reach out to them directly .. Good luck
Ok thanks for the info on the timing, prolly be best if I get a diesel tech to come help. But in you first reply you mentioned a “ work around “ if I was interested. I am interested especially if there is an alternative pump I can use. The factory one has been discribed as “ junk “ on other sites. Any help appreciated.
It’s not really junk, it’s just do to the emission law at the time, the tolerances are way to tight for a tractor out in the dirt and mud.. & the timing is amazingly strict.. People have been using a Ford 4000 pump and drive gear and ordering a set of lines.. and it works.. I have the pump # but not in front of me.. but I can get a NEW aftermarket pump for 700.00.. a gear and lines off the web for 100. I had 1 customer who sent me his injectors to lower the pressure from 3200psi down to 2700psi (4000 Inj opening pressure)
$800 sounds better than $2700, invest the rest in beer. Joe H
Exactly!!! that was the info I was hoping for.
That would be a great way to go. If you find those numbers I would really appreciate it. Or do I simply find one for a 4000 ford tractor and get the lines and gear also ? Then does it time like the 4000 ford tractor ? Thanks for your patience with me. And it looks like the 4000 ford tractor injectors can be bought for $55 each ( would they have the correct pressure? ) because my shop charged me $50 each just to check mine and I would assume he would want more to reset the pressure on them.
If they’re charging you 55.00 just to check an injector,(I do it for free) JUST to tell u it’s bad.. imagine what the mark up is on your pump repair.!!! Would u like me to check on a new pump for u.?? I wouldn’t go changing injectors.. Besides, they’ll have the wrong tip in it anyway AND set to the wrong pressure.!!! (Junk) But u should get the old ones checked..just to make sure they open and spray properly.. I’d be happy to help.. I’ll get that pump # for u sometime tomorrow..
CAV/DELPHI pump #.. 3233F390 OR 3833F390 676.00 Arko 730.00 most places