Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can you identify this?

Ikarr · 2019-12-13 22:45

A friend of my mine pulled this out of the woods in Acme WA. Appears to be some kind of heat exchanger.

Replies24
  1. #1log big2019-12-14 02:33

    fire wood stove ?

  2. #2Ronsii2019-12-14 08:52

    What do the gauges read? is that some sort of spring valve/pressure release on the top/left?

  3. #3Delmer2019-12-14 10:08

    Looks to be cast iron, and too small to be any sort of boiler. I'll guess it was a steam boiler accessory, like a feed water preheater that went over the exhaust to recapture some of the heat to preheat the cold feed water, also prevent cracking from cold feed water.

  4. #4Ikarr2019-12-14 13:15

    The gauge is a pressure gauge and I think the thing on the left is a broken relief.

  5. #5Ikarr2019-12-14 13:21

    That's interesting. I have never seen that directly in the flu but it makes sense. Do you think this would be from some mobile boiler or donkey?

  6. #6Ronsii2019-12-14 14:48

    Yes it is , I was more curious what kind of pressure it read, 200psi, 50kpsa, 2000psi...

  7. #7Mother Deuce2019-12-14 16:02

    Is there a builder stamp on any of the castings? Like Willamette, or Baldwin or Lima? I will be studying my Darius Kinsey books for hours to find one in an image of his.

  8. #8Ikarr2019-12-14 17:02

    Here are some other shots. We need to take the gauge apart to read the scale.

  9. #9Ikarr2019-12-14 17:03
  10. #10Ronsii2019-12-14 17:21

    Doesn't look very old.... 40's maybe...??? the 30 pounds working pressure is strange, maybe some sort of pump apparatus.

  11. #11Mother Deuce2019-12-14 19:08

    That what I thought was a pressure relief looks like half of a fly ball governor.

  12. #12icestationzebra2019-12-14 21:01

    I'm thinking it is some kind of water pressure or flow regulator, but the holes in the back have me stumped. Maybe a mixing valve?

  13. #13RZucker2019-12-14 21:08

    No, that is a pressure relief valve with a weighted lever. I'm thinking this is some sort of feedwater heater, but more than likely for a stationary boiler.

  14. #14Mother Deuce2019-12-14 21:44

    I was thinking vertical water pump.I can’t make out the word under where the ball was laying. Interesting piece

  15. #15Bluox2019-12-14 23:15

    My wag would be a early steam driven Turbo Encabulator. Bob

  16. #16Ronsii2019-12-15 01:07

    We're gonna need more pics good close ups of any casting marks/printing also maybe some inside shots as this would give a big clue as to it's actual use. Is that gauge just really dented down or did it look like it had an original oblong shape?

  17. #17Vetech632019-12-15 08:31

    It’s a smoker......with some simple mods. LOL

  18. #18Ronsii2019-12-15 08:39

    Yeh, I heard about those new hydro-smokers... sposed to keep the meat more moist...

  19. #19Hallback2019-12-16 07:14

    Coming from the Acme area it's a 'shine making tool.

  20. #20highwayghost2019-12-16 07:59

    That's where I was going! Found in woods. Deals with heating. Pressure monitoring..... Moonshine!

  21. #21Ronsii2019-12-16 09:29

    And it's original use location may be nearby where it was found... maybe they had a slight accident with pressure and it jumped by itself

  22. #22callingtheshop2019-12-16 09:43

    I've slept on it for a couple nights now and can only offer the following: 1/ A lost nuke that the military says never occurred. Santa will be requesting your presence as a tail light/marker for his sleigh as handlers man-hoods will be totally radiated and glowing red. 2/ Sewer pump, loggers of long ago had big ones. Hope this input helps...

  23. #23callingtheshop2019-12-17 23:30

    On the serious side, have you asked anyone in other forums on this site? Lots of talent here and a lot of guys don't go into forestry, just saying.

  24. #24Truck Shop2019-12-18 20:45

    Scroll down to steam heating-a possibility. https://www.achrnews.com/articles/87035-an-early-history-of-comfort-heating