Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat skidders

southernman13 · 2019-11-15 06:12

545 & 535. These are like 15’ or 16’ models. There’s a local plantation with these and they want to sell them. What’s the skinny on the cats. You rarely see them around here in sw Ga. are they problematic machines? They seem like really nice units. They have had all the updates and can be bought right I believe. We don’t really have a use for them but I might be interested in one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks oh and they have 5000ish hrs

Replies20
  1. #1Mike L2019-11-22 06:41

    I don’t know many of the details on these machines but there is a bunch of them up here in Maine. One of my customers has 4 525’s in service and a couple old worn out 525’s behind the shop and they swear by them.

  2. #2southernman132019-11-23 06:22

    Thanks for the reply. Kinda what I’ve heard as well

  3. #3Hallback2019-11-23 12:24

    A cat buncher or skidder is worse than herpes. I have owned both and if I hadn't dumped them they would have bankrupted me!

  4. #4Mike L2019-11-23 18:59

    What kind of problems did you run into hallback?

  5. #5southernman132019-11-23 21:35

    Wow howd u get rid of the herepes lol.

  6. #6John C.2019-11-23 22:10

    That area of time they did an update on the skidders into a new model designation and they were just crap. The local dealer bought two of them back. What little bit I get into the woods anymore all I've seen are Tigercat and Deere in that market. The bunchers have always been crap. One machine that got taken back by Cat had to have the cooling system completely redesigned and they shut down new sales of them for about a year until that got done. I looked at a couple and heard lots of sad stories.

  7. #7partsandservice2019-11-23 22:16

    The D model skidders have not proven to be what the C was. The D is why Cat sold out the Forestry line. The C was one hell of skidder IMO.

  8. #8Hallback2019-11-23 22:46

    Wiring, hydraulic issues, run way too hot and are fragile as hell. If you value your money, stay the eff away!

  9. #9Mike L2019-11-24 14:47

    I didn’t realize cat sold out the forestry line. Who bought it?

  10. #10Hank R2019-11-24 17:18

    If I remember right Wheeler ?? but may be wrong about a year ago.

  11. #11Mike L2019-11-24 17:42

    I just googled it. An outfit named weiler from Iowa. Bought the skidded, bunchers, and knuckle boom loaders

  12. #12Hank R2019-11-24 17:51

    I knew I was close but still wrong

  13. #13partsandservice2019-11-24 20:38

    This is my newest addition... It will be parted out.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2019-11-24 23:28

    Quite a few high hour 545s running around here pulling poles. Only been one I know of that lost an engine at 14,000 hours. Never see a Cat buncher though.

  15. #15Mike L2019-11-25 17:59

    I forgot that the 521 buncher was extra flammable. Customer just bought one cheap at a big auction up here last week.

  16. #16dieseldog5.92020-01-25 19:19

    There's a reason a Deere 440C is worth more than a 525 Cat even though it's 15 years newer. Local Logger told me cat Skidders sent him to bankruptcy court. Cat Dozers Cat Excavators Cat Skidsteers Cat Skidders

  17. #17dieseldog5.92020-01-25 19:25

    Weiler bought cat forestry, they make paving equipment apparently, some small chippers, still never heard of them.

  18. #18MattR2020-02-06 04:50

    The old 518s were of course some of the best units ever assembled. Old school engineering. I grew up operating them, then moved to ownership. We also had many 227, 225 and 217 bunchers and delimbers

  19. #19Mobiltech2020-02-06 07:51

    On the topic of Cat bunchers how were the 541 series 2?

  20. #20MattR2020-02-06 07:55

    I have no experience with them myself.