Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

can you over grease a case 9030b?

mudhole ยท 2015-05-09 21:31

can the swing bearing be over greased on these machines, or do you just grease till you see it coming out? I assume for pins that you just grease until you see it coming out. also the owners manual says to take the cover plate off of the swing gear and fill as needed as you rotate 1/8, what is full?

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12015-05-09 21:54

    I believe that if you grease the rotec too much you could push the seal out. I usually put about 5-10 pumps in each fitting per week. If it gets greasy around the seal, I'll wait a couple weeks before greasing again. As far as the gear, I open the cover and grease the cogs twice a year (about every 500 hrs). Hope this helps.

  2. #2mudhole2015-05-09 22:07

    thanks!!!, when you say "i open the cover and grease the cogs twice a year", you just pack grease on the teeth you can reach and then rotate 1/8 and repeat?...also do you have to replace the seal everytime you open the cover?, i saw a youtube video that said that... thanks in advance...this is my first excavator and I dont want to screw something up

  3. #3sheepfoot2015-05-09 23:07

    I was thinking that the cavity is full of grease up to 1/8 inch of the swing pinion gear lower edge, as the machine swings the gear spins in the grease slurry and causes it to pull the grease up to lube it.

  4. #4mudhole2015-05-10 07:37

    ahh, ok, the owners manual says check to make sure it is full and doesnt have water in it...full means reaching the bottom of the pinion gear. I am guessing it wont need any, not really anywhere for it to go and it has relatively few hours on it.

  5. #5joispoi2015-05-10 07:53

    Hours aren't the only determining factor for grease. The grease dries out with time. It won't do any good if the grease has hardened and has been pushed out of reach of the pinion gear.

  6. #6Shimmy12015-05-10 11:28

    I guess mine were never low then because the pinion was always touching the grease. I got a new seal the first time I pulled the cover, when I put it back on I put a tiny bit of silicone on the cover. After that, it always came right up, seal stayed intact.

  7. #7mudhole2015-05-16 21:42

    quick update, it is rare that things go easily for me, but this was pretty easy, i rotated the turntable 1/8 turn checked and added as needed and repeated...all went well, thanks so then i went on to grease the gear reducer...per the direction, i opened the air plug, which was on the opposite side of the gear reducer from the grease fitting and started adding grease until it came out of the air plug, however after a whole tube it didnt come out...i thought that maybe the air outlet was maybe plugged, so i pushed the allen wrench into it and there was grease on the tip..so i assumed it wasnt blocked...but since the specs say that it only holds 1 liter, i thought I better not add anymore...should i keep going till it comes out?, did i add to much already?