Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can you weld in sub zero temps?

emmett518 · 2022-01-26 04:02

Dumb question. I need to weld two D ring assemblies to my snow plow. Can I do this outside in 15 deg F temps? Hobart MIG welder. Thanks

Replies32
  1. #11693TA2022-01-26 05:23

    Yes you can but preheat the area with a torch first. I would use a small rosebud myself and get to welding before it cools off.

  2. #2Nige2022-01-26 06:32

    And if you can put something around your work area to act as a wind-break so much the better. It will stop the heated area cooling off quite so fast.

  3. #3terex herder2022-01-26 08:29

    Especially with what is probably an underpowered MIG unit preheat is required, not just helpful. It will cool quickly, so I'd try for over 100F preheat. If you can't hold your hand on it for more than a couple of seconds its about minimum. Watch your puddle carefully to insure you are getting fusion. If you stop for a couple of minutes recheck temperature and reheat as necessary. If the base metal is thicker than about 3/8, you may not have enough welder no matter the amount of preheat. This is based on the Hobarts I've seen, mostly out of farm stores and similar. If you have one of the old Hobarts before they sold out the company, weld on.

  4. #4emmett5182022-01-26 08:37

    I knew I should have bought a big Miller MIG.

  5. #5emmett5182022-01-26 08:38

    Think I am going to wait until summer to do the job. Or take it to my local welding shop.

  6. #61693TA2022-01-26 09:04

    Kinda/Sorta like my old Hobart: I've welded a lot out in the cold with this one and usually under a tent as my ass gets cold and I really don't like that.

  7. #756wrench2022-01-26 09:19

    Is that an old GL-318? It looks like mine only in better shape

  8. #81693TA2022-01-26 09:47

    It is a 1957 GB-318 and runs perfect. Likes it's gas a lot too.....

  9. #956wrench2022-01-26 09:58

    Mine is a 1953 and that old flat six chrysler sure gulps the gas if i'm doing a lot of air-arc work. Even just welding a tank of gas doesn't last long

  10. #101693TA2022-01-26 10:16

    No difference with this one either. This one is still 6V as it starts so easy I never seen a reason to change it over. If it will crank, it will start. Always give it a few minutes to warm before lighting up too and usually about five minutes to cool down; especially after air-arcing. Only problem I've ever had is the water pump has been rebuilt over the last 41 years. The idle solenoid even works well, still. It's always kept inside however.

  11. #11emmett5182022-01-26 19:14

    I took the piece to my local welding shop, and they did it in their warm shop with their industrial Miller MIG for $20. More than fair.

  12. #12emmett5182022-01-26 19:15

    Reminds me of those gas air compressors that the road crews used to use to run their jack hammers.

  13. #131693TA2022-01-26 19:27

    My 1962 Worthington rotary vane air compressor. 250cfm at 125psi. Runs and works perfect with oil free air output:

  14. #14JD955SC2022-01-27 06:39

    The little 110 volt migs are good for welding small non load bearing brackets on or thin sheet metal not for heavy duty stuff. now if you have a 240V mig that’s a different story. And the same parent company that owns Miller owns Hobart. Most of Hobarts line is base model versions of Miller welders. Great for home/farm type shops. Just make sure you are using enough welder for the job not a little 110V hot glue gun.

  15. #15emmett5182022-01-27 06:48

    Mine is 220. Hobart 180.

  16. #16emmett5182022-01-27 06:49

    You need a jackhammer with that!!

  17. #17Willie B2022-01-27 07:33

    Now that will sandblast!

  18. #181693TA2022-01-28 12:04

    Everybody needs a good welder. Certainly pains me deep Hobart Bros. is no longer around. With ITW now owning Miller Electric, I feel the same is in store for them also, (eventually). If my old GB-318 Hobart ain't got enough ass behind it, This 4.236 Perkins Diesel powered 500A Hobart certainly does. Purchased this one so I could run my Hobart Bros. suitcase feeder I caught on sale while still in the navy back in 1986. These two work in perfect unison. I built a remote control for it so once course settings are dialed in, you can fine tune as you weld at the gun.

  19. #19Willie B2022-01-28 20:05

    Very enviable! All I have these days is a 2007 Bobcat 250.

  20. #201693TA2022-01-28 20:21

    Not a bad machine at all and very reliable if kept under cover. Only thing the really high amperage machines get you is extended time and capability air arcing, but plasma is digging into the market pretty good if one has the power supply for it. I still do quite a bit of air arcing because my Hypertherm PM-105 requires more than my 15kw genset can deliver to operate efficiently.

  21. #21JLarson2022-01-28 20:58

    The weed burner is your friend in cold temperatures and torpedo heaters.

  22. #221693TA2022-06-21 08:24

    The compressor does sandblast very well. Subdivision sign to refurbish: Spot blasting for the severe pitted surface. Originally powder coated so strips very slowly as the grip is tenacious: Cleaned off completely: Final paint work with 40% gloss face: Still awaiting some supplies to blast the plasma cut lettering clean to refinish in high gloss gold.

  23. #23Willie B2022-06-21 10:58

    This thread seems to have evolved into a welder thread. If that offends anyone I apologize. I have the chance to buy a Hobart, I'll get a picture. It is powered by a 3 liter inline OHV 6, said to be common in Ford Mavericks in the early sixties. Seller says it runs fine but has no battery at present. It does not produce power. Is it worth having? I'd guess it hasn't seen use in a while & has been stored outside.

  24. #24joe--h2022-06-21 15:54

    JD955SC said The little 110 volt migs are good for welding small non load bearing brackets on or thin sheet metal not for heavy duty stuff. Hey, if you need to weld something in the kitchen or bathroom they're great. Joe H

  25. #251693TA2022-06-21 16:23

    Probably a G-250 and they were good machines. Very common in the 70's with that 200ci Ford engine.

  26. #26Willie B2022-06-21 17:51

    Nameplate says 300 Amps

  27. #271693TA2022-06-21 18:05

    That would have a 300ci Ford engine. Still a very good machine and simple with rudimentary electronics. 1970 was the first year for the Maverick and what a POS it was.

  28. #28Willie B2022-06-21 19:31

    Gee, I'm sure my grandmother drove a Maverick pre 1970. I had heard the 1964 Mustang was a different body on a Maverick. I'm now profoundly confused! We had an old lady neighbor I was sure drove her ugly old rust bucket Maverick from 1965 to 1980. We had a 300 in a full sized 1976 van. It was a functional engine. 300 is near 5 liters. I understood this to be a 3 liter. To my eye, this is a smaller physically engine.

  29. #29Willie B2022-06-21 19:40

    Now you have me doubting what I thought I knew. I'll update.

  30. #301693TA2022-06-21 20:25

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjN-OLn5b_4AhUVH0QIHWbkABUQFnoECEEQAQ&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Maverick_(1970%E2%80%931977)&usg=AOvVaw0dsZkcghQJ6Z-AtWwgBkJghttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjN-OLn5b_4AhUVH0QIHWbkABUQFnoECEEQAQ&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Maverick_(1970%E2%80%931977)&usg=AOvVaw0dsZkcghQJ6Z-AtWwgBkJg That engine in the welder could be a 250ci Ford engine as I'd forgotten about that one.....

  31. #31Willie B2022-06-21 21:22

    Wow! I was way off! You are right, the car my grandmother had earlier was a Falcon. The car my neighbor drove was a Maverick, but newer than I believed it to be.

  32. #321693TA2022-06-21 21:36

    One of the first cars I repaired for hire as a much younger lad was a two year old Maverick "Grabber" with the front end knocked out of it and the oil pan peeled open. 302V8, and Ford four speed trans with 9" Ford drive axle. Fast SOB but the front ends didn't hold up so well and this one collapsed as the driver was running from the cops.