Ok I hope I am not starting one of those dreaded topics that’s been hammered out a 1000 posts but I searched as many terms as I could think of and came up with nothing. I’m looking at a Deere that’s in Canada and want to export to the US and am getting conflicting information about the EPA status. There’s a guy saying this sticker is all I need to be ok. Smooth sailing. This looks wrong to me, but I’m not knowed up on this topic at all!! What do you guys think?
I have seen similar stickers on Cat engines over the years. Engine with this type of sticker were built ONLY for export outside the US and were not to be sold in the home market. I may be wrong but AFAIK a machine or an engine stickered this way would not be allowed to be re-imported back to the US. At one point in time I recall that there were even issues sending engines stickered like the example above back to the factory in the US as Reman Cores. This was later overcome by some sort of dispensation but it gives you an idea of how complex the rules are.
I took my 5.9 ISB to Canada for overhaul by a friend, and I was quite lucky to have the valve cover on it with the US label or I could not bring it back to the US. Do be careful with your money.
These sorts of thing just make me angry. I'm looking forward to the day when these things no longer exist.
Supreme court review of Chevron can't get here fast enough.
When I imported my Menzi Muck from Germany, I had to fill out EPA forms for the emmisions of the engine. Fortunately, the label was stickered for use in the US and Canada so that made it passable for importation. Without that label, it could not be brought in through customs from what I was told. You should also be able to look up the engine family within the EPA's site. Providing that certification was part of the paperwork to be able to import the Menzi. You need something like this as follows:
There’s the EPA label that I have seen but could not find images of. I think Nige is correct that the one I posted is for export only and was during the Tier 3 to 4 to 4- final transition. The problem stems from the machine having a dealer installed reman engine and the emissions decal is missing so the correct decal is in process of being located from the dealer. Which has brought up the controversy.
I’ll try to look up this engine family and see what comes up on the EPA website thanks.
In that case the decal in the photo in your OP is most definitely NOT the one you need to re-import the engine back into the US IMHO.
I've always wondered about the older equipment and bringing it over the boarder? How does that work? With the emissions machines you may have to remove the engine to bring it back here. And the engine would need to be reduced to parts to come back.
My only experience with this was purchasing and importing a 2000 KW with a 6NZ Cat in it, in 2017. I purchased it from a dealer, and they obtained a replacement EPA sticker from Cat to put on the engine as the original was not completely legible. As per our agreement I took possesion on the U.S. side of the border. To my knowledge they had no difficulties with it. They are in the business of dealing with such things though and no doubt have the required procedures down.
Yeah so what I’ve learned is that there’s a time gap between US and CAN adoption of Tier 4 regulations. US in about 2012, and CAN I hear 2019. The Canadian export versions of most machines were 99% made with a Tier 3 family engine. While US EPA approved models require Tier 4 and post 2012 Tier 3 family engines will not be allowed for import. It’s all by the serial number and what family the engine was. If it was already EPA approved family then you can get the new proper EPA sticker and it’s ok.