Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cant remove stuck internal circlip w broken ears?

Birdseye · 2021-01-23 00:21

I’m stuck, trying to remove the kingpin on the front spindle of my backhoe but I cannot remove the 2” internal circlip that is rusted in place for 35 years. I managed to break off both circling ears while attempting to ease the clip out. I’m operating outside, on my back looking up at this darn thing. I’ve made a couple of hook tools from repurposed punches that I hoped I could hit with a hammer and get under the tail end of the cir-clip but so far I’ve nut been able to get under it. I’m thinking to next try the dremmel with a 1” grinding disc and cut the circlip at midpoint. Or should I just get the oxy/acy torch and heat it red to break the rust seize? Suggestions welcome.

Replies7
  1. #1skyking12021-01-23 00:34

    If you know torches, you can lick the clip out of there with the cutting torch and not harm anything. I only suggest that if you have done that kind of cutting.

  2. #2JLarson2021-01-23 00:44

    Spray some penetrating oil up there and rattle on things with an air hammer a few times, spray again then try and dig it out again. Yeah you're gonna want to wear eye pro during this procedure too.

  3. #3Bls repair2021-01-23 04:57

    Heat clip to cherry red and bend it out ,clip should get hot a lot faster then the pin

  4. #4JL Sargent2021-01-23 08:58

    1st thing is to get kingpin centered in hole. Really looks pinched good on that one side. Once that is done, any of the suggested techniques might work.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-01-23 09:34

    It may be pinched from being to low to release the clip. Put a jack under the pin and see if it will raise it.

  6. #6Birdseye2021-01-25 21:08

    Got it with the oxy/acy torch , heating it red broke its hold, thanks !

  7. #7aighead2021-01-26 07:42

    Ha! Granted, I'm new to looking at stuff like this, but your first picture in your first post threw me for a loop due to the perspective! My brain saw the kingpin as protruding out not in, even when the 2nd picture was clearly in... Our eyes do funny things! Glad you got it out!