I'm attempting to get an old Case 580k running again. It has the naturally aspirated Cummins 4-390. After dropping the oil pan this morning, I found what appears to be a thrust bearing in the bottom of the pan. Is this a thrust bearing?
Yes it is. It looks like the engine was run low on oil and spun the tab locks out.
Dang! I'm not really experienced with engines. Does this mean I need to replace all of the bearings then?
Probably will + a whole lot more. All you can do it disassemble and start taking measurements
You can start by removing the thrust cap and inspecting what's left of the thrust bearing. Check the crankshaft where the thrust rides for scoring. I would remove each cap and check every bearing if it were my engine. You can take pics of the bearings and post them here if you arent sure of the condition.
I'm curious as to what brought your attention that led you to that unfortunate find. How long do you think you may have run it with the broken bearing ? I ask this because the flex plate on the torque convertor may be badly damaged as result of the crankshaft moving back and forth.
As I recall the thrust bearing is a one piece bearing shell that fits in the block above number 4 main cap that won't have a thrust bearing on it. Not that uncommon for the flex plate or clutch to take out the thrust bearing. Good luck Bob
The backhoe was free. It had been sitting in a yard, last run about 10 years ago. The only history the prior owner could give was that it ran when parked, the hydraulics worked, but it would not drive. I'm attempting to get it operating again for as little cost as possible for the current owner. When I drained the oil pan, about 3 gallons of clear water and 5 gallons of black oil came out with sludge. I dropped the pan and found the bearing.
Thank you!
Get me a round trip ticket to Guam for a weeks stay and a nice place to sleep...............and I will come fix it for you! LOL
Is there a tech manual or overhaul guide for this engine that I could read? I'm a pretty good submarine mechanic, but have almost no experience in commercial equipment.
Check your PM box.
I'll let you know when Guam opens back up. We're still pretty locked down.
Good call.