I drove by a Chevrolet dealer and there were hardly any cars up front to sell off the lot. Maybe 10 cars were there on a lot that might normally hold 80. It is a small dealership but still wondering if they are going under or maybe they just can't get cars at the moment. The Subaru dealer looked pretty normal and the Ford dealer, which is much larger, also looked normal as things can be these days.
Here in Australia the most popular make is Toyota. About six months ago I want shopping for one but gave up. As above, dealers have no stock, big waiting list for new cars and used car prices are through the roof.
I've heard there is a computer chip shortage and since each vehicle has about 40 of them..... Also, in this area, lots of people are moving out of cities where they didn't need a car to rural areas where they do.
That is the excuse here, seems reliant of China/Asian producers for pieces that are not coming out.
GM dealers here in Canada are the same. Not a lot of vehicles on the lot. Ford was the same, but seem to be getting a lot of trucks in the last month. The Dodge dealer got a Hellcat, and it's one of 3 in the entire province.
Same goes for heavy equipment. Auction prices for used equipment is top dollar +
I have been car shopping for my wife. I am not having any problems finding a car, but when I find a car no one will let me buy it. I am wanting to pay cash, but the dealers won't sell the car for cash. They are wanting to finance it. I don't want to go through the hassle of credit checks and what not. Otherwise I would give the down payment and pay it off the next day. But I shouldn't have to go through such extremes. I should be able to just buy what I want shouldn't I? Has anyone else had this problem buying a car for cash?
I was going to upgrade to a one ton pickup. A big dealer here only had 2 in their inventory according to their website. I called, but both were already sold. They don't know when they will get some more. Guess I will wait a while. Jeff
Friend of mine was looking at a new GMC and he said GM dealers here are asking $2,000 over MSRP for pickups...no thanks. Ford dealers have very little inventory in the 250/350 class. Supposedly a chip shortage. Has anyone looked at lumber prices?! Wife and I expected to be building our new home right now but we're not paying double for our lumber.
Dealers want us to finance our purchases because part of their profit is in the kick-back from the loans. I bought a new gmc truck in north central Illinois and the dealer was using a bank in Missouri. I thought I would use that bank to make the purchase, then find a bank with a lower rate, but It was the lowest rate I could find. That dealer has only one new GMC pickup in his inventory right now. When he does get one in it is usually sold in a couple of days. Ford shut down pickup truck production for two weeks due to no computer chips.
The tinfoil hat crowd says the vaccine has chips in it, that must be where they went. This is why Canada and the US have to stop depending on other countries to build their electronics. Bring back the days when companies build their stuff in house.
Try and rent a car in Hawaii island of Maui cheapest $722 a day people are renting Loes and Home depot pickup trucks to use as rental cars.
It's been like that a long time now. Just let them play their game, make sure the price is fair and no penalties, and pay it off the next month. Or make the deal letting them assume financing, then tell them you are paying cash at the last minute. There are lots of youtube guys that go through the art of manipulating the dealer. Shame it has to be that way but that is just the way it works.
It just pisses me off. I don't like playing games. I know what I want and how much I want to spend. What is the need for gameplay? You have what I want and I have the cash. It should be simple right? I can buy one from a private seller, but I am not comfortable with pulling that kind of cash out and meeting someone I don't know. I will find the car I want eventually, but my patience is wearing thin with car salesmen.
My dad bought a paperback book in the 1980s. How to beat the car salesman at his own game. He and Mom would play good cop bad cop with the car salesman. He had it down to a science. Took Grandpa to buy a truck the same way. At one point had the salesman so mad they wadded up the contract and jumped up and down on it. I was along for some of these negotiations. It had been like that before and it's still like that today. There is another way to do it. Go to the Clark Howard message boards and search for the "Weenut method" of buying cars. There is a guy on there called Weenut123 or something like that. It is a little hard to find but you will come to it. They play different dealers against each other with phone calls and emails. That way you can get the best deal in writing without driving all over.
We bought a new Tahoe in January and lucked out found it right when it came off the truck and put a deposit on it had 3 miles on it can’t even order the max tow package on gm products right now due to shortages was the main reason we bought when we did it had it was my number one requirement for a new vehicle
For fun, look at book values of your personal vehicles. Never in my life have used cars appreciated in value. ( Except special cases.) I purchased a base level Ford 19 F-350 on 1/20 for $42k. Kendall called me and offered $45k. The book value is $55k. Between Anchorage Fairbanks and Wasilla, there are about 7 Superduty Fords available. All of them are high-trim Diesels, like Platinums and King Ranch.
Announced yesterday, Subaru is closing the USA and Japan factory. The Subie lots are expected to be empty towards the end of May.
Warning: TLDR I just upgraded my DW’s daily ride. Her 15 Ford Escape needed a windshield, PTU, brakes all the way around, battery, front marker lamp bulbs, (don’t laugh! Flat rate is 2 hours per side. Remove wheels and fenders) tune-up, fluids and tires. About $5k in maintenance. Sold it for $15k with 85k miles, but it was super clean. The Pebble Mine Project just turned in all their lease vehicles to Kendall Ford. They had a 2018 Escape Titanium, optioned out with 11k miles. Kendall sold it as a CPO. Looked like new. $24K I know, Escapes are a pile of ****, but my wife really likes them. From a mechanics view, they are all a pile. I like Subaru the best. They still use wire and relays instead of a module for everything. Seriously Volkswagen? Why do you need a $1,000 programmable module for the window regulators?
In my OA, some of the big oil producer fleets are putting off new pickup purchases, for many reasons, but a big reason is because fleet models are unavailable.
I totally understand wanting to pay cash. And you should be able to if you want to. But, the car biz is all about credit and the dealers are trying to maximize profit now that inventory is low. If you have the cash, It’s no big deal to play the game, put a big down payment get the 2% new car loan, and pay it off in six months.
We've got a '15 also, about similar amount of miles. Not too long ago had some of the same work done, cost was along the same line. Now on 2nd replacement windshield and its cracked. Don't recall having to replace this many on any of our previous vehicles.
The windshield is a rock magnet.
My mother has a 2010 Escape with a bit over 75000KMs on it, so around 47000miles. It's been a good vehicle to her. 4 banger. not real comfortable, but it's easy on gas, and I just put $165 bucks worth of gas in my F150, and I think hers holds around $60 and you can drive it forever. You don't get a vehicle that lasts anymore. They bought a little TYM tractor at work this fall for doing some sidewalks. Came with a bucket, front mount blower, and a rear angle blade. Just a step up from a riding mower. Everything on it is plastic.
For sure. And add the Glenn Hwy just for good measure!
The Escape does well with snow and ice. My DW likes the heated seats and steering wheel. Lol. I learned the hard way, the trick with the Escape is to change the transfer case oil every 20k miles. Ford calls it a PTU. It only holds a couple cups of gear lube. It runs hot because the exhaust is next to it. The early Escape didn’t even provide a drain plug. You had to drill and tap for one. If you ignore it, expect to replace it at 75k. Or, less if you live in a hot area with lots of Highway miles, heavy loads, hills or towing. Can’t believe Ford offers a tow package. 3500 lbs and 350 tongue weight.
It is crazy how much they have went up here, I can blame the USA for a lot of it, so many vehicles getting bought up to go south no one has any inventory. Checked 2 massive dealers here, 1 has 1 diesel the other has 3, and they only got like 30 1500's, usually they have at least 200-300. I bought 2 pickups last April after mine got stolen, couldn't have been better timing with the pandemic just started no one was buying much and I stole them both. Dealers had tons of inventory then, but they wouldn't budge on price. 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi big horn 120k miles and incredibly clean for $8k, after a year and 10k miles other then maintenance it's cost me $150 and an hours work to replace an injector. I could probably sell the truck tomorrow for $14-15k. 2009 Ram 5500 diesel 115k miles for $15,500. Body kinda rough but mechanically great, after 10k miles only thing i've found is actuator in turbo and e-brake doesn't work. I could probably sell the truck tomorrow for over $20k.
The really crazy thing is the older trucks. I had a 07 ram 2500 laramie diesel with 45k miles on it that I bought someone else's lemon, I paid $32k for it, took a loss and sold for 30k that was in 2010. Today that truck here would fetch mid 40's like nothing. Even if it had double the miles it would still be worth more then the $32k I paid.
Wife bought a new 2021 Honda Passport just before Christmas. Had to be ordered so needed a deposit. Wanted to put deposit on credit card to get travel miles. Their limit was $2500 max. Told them $5000 or we will go elsewhere. Quick word with credit manager and we were good to go. Car arrived in Jan. and no problem making full payment with a cheque. I've never had a problem paying cash for a vehicle and always make max deposit they will take with credit card. I'd pay for the whole thing with the credit card if they let me but they always seem to have a limit although it always seems to be negotiable. Guess it depends on how much they are willing to eat in credit card fees to make a sale. d.d.
With the Escape tow package, I was going to put my DoT numbers on it and send Wifey out with some hot-shot loads. But, my safety department stopped that idea. Raven the Safety Dog does not approve of the pintle hitch.
When I worked for the Cat dealer we had a customer that came in about every three years and bought a brand new 527 tracked skidder with the swing boom and bunching grapples. Last time he came in the women wanted a credit application or no deal. The customer packed up his stuff and headed for the door. The sales rep headed for the corporate sales manager who caught the guy as he was starting his pickup. Turned out his check was good enough.
I had an uncle that was worth millions. Had one of the largest logging operations in the province. But he was a working millionaire. He always drove around in a plain Jane Chev truck, and dressed like he just crawled out from under an old Timberjack skidder. He went to the dealer to order a new feller buncher. The sales guy didn't want to talk to him at all, but he was in need of the machine, and asked for the manager whom he had dealt with for years. Your salesman doesn't want to do a deal for me he said. To which the manager replied to his sub, give him ten if he wants them. There are a lot of tire kickers out there, but you never know. I worked with an old fella, a truck driver. He never talked about money, dressed in rags at work. We were on our way home in a company truck for the weekend. He wanted to stop at the Chev dealer. He said come on in. He told the salesman, I'd like to buy one more new car for my wife before I die. He wanted to check out a new oldsmobile. This would have been 1991. The salesman said if you're serious, come to my office and I can get the paperwork done for credit. He reached in his coat pocket and pulled out the biggest wad of cash I had ever seen, and said ( He was French ) I pay de cash. Sales guy had no issue with that, and he drove the car home.
Had something similar happen back in the late 80's. I had 8 truck tractors lined up out by the highway in front of our sand plant, that the company had put up for sale. An old Lincoln Continental pulled in one day and 4 Hispanics got out can came into my office. They said they wanted to buy all the trucks out front, and one of them opened a briefcase that was full of stacks of $100.00 bills. The head guy said, "How much we owe for all 8?". I calmly told them to go to our main office and ask for our fleet manager. They did, and he sold them the whole batch. As they say here in Texas, "Money talks and bulls-it walks". Jeff
I’ve never seen a suitcase full of cash before, but a Dock Attended did. A fancy Russian Yacht filled up at the DW Dutch Harbor fuel dock and paid with a cardboard box of cash and didn’t want a receipt.
Nothing like good ol' fashion drug money!
My son in Hawaii says the rental cos sold off their fleets when the china flu hit. The tourists stopped coming and the cars were just sitting. Now they can't replace them as there are no cars to buy.
You can get $1m in hundreds in a shoe box
It isn't all drug money. My cash is legal/legit. I just prefer to use cash!
Cash is good. But anything over $5,000 at a US bank gets a CTR filed (currency transaction report). In some cases just talking to them about cash amounts over $5,000 requires them to file a CTR. Amounts over $10,000 to a business have to be reported. A cashiers check made out to yourself is considered cash and must be reported.
I thought the limit was still $10,000 on cash. Didn't know it was lowered to $5,000. Not that it makes much difference to me.
A young feller walked into Roberts Kenworth in Portland some years back, 20 years old dressed in his work attire-but clean. He walked around the sales department for quite a spell, not one salesman asked if there was something they could do for him. After about 45m to an hour a parts counter guy noticed he was still walking around he walked out asked if he could help him. The young feller said my dad is so and so and he sent my here to order five new log trucks. The parts man went to the manager {I want all the commission on the sale of these five trucks}. He got it.
I went to the Yamaha dealer one winter, it was getting late in the season, but I wanted a new pair of skidoo boots. For you guys that don't get to experience the pleasure of snow, they are winter boots for snowmobiling. A sales guy asked if I needed help, and when it was clear that I wasn't looking to shell out ten grand for a new sled, he just pointed to the corner, and said that's all we have and we are not getting anymore this season. I didn't even bother to look, I walked out. I went to the Arctic Cat dealer, a young fella (although come to think of it, this was 1995 so he was probably older than me) walked up and said can I help you. He said we don't have a lot left, but I can order whatever you want, and even pointed out some nice Baffin boots on sale. Guess who got the sale of a new snowmobile the following winter. Bought a new sled $10,200, a new helmet, leather gloves, and a leather suit, probably another 2 grand, and continued to get my business to this day.
Buying a new Ram 2500 Mega cab. A few dealers are at MSRP and others MSRP plus some. Looked around and found a dealer in Indiana for 6K off the sticker. Part of the discount is to finance for 6 months, so the 1500 off is actually about 1200 off when paid after six. Should be picking it up tomorrow There also making money on my trade but I'm good with that
Reminds me of how my father taught me how to buy cars or any other big ticket item. He would always walk in the showroom in work clothes usually at the end of a work day. The salesman that didn't judge a book by it's cover got the sale. One time when I was in my late teens mom wanted a new car, a BMW 325. This was the early '90's. Loaded up in the truck and headed to the dealership downtown, we had never set foot there before and knew nobody there. We made sure to have some mud on our boots. Walked in the front door and there were 2 frat boy dressed salesman discussing their golf game or some other drivel. We stood there in the lobby looking around for a few minutes until one asked "Can we help you?". Replied we would like to look at a BMW. One of the boys yelled across the showroom "Antonio can you help these people?". Antonio was a young guy probably 5-6 years older than me at the time in a little cubical in the back of the dealership. Well Antonio rolled out the red carpet for us that day, complete with test drive which resulted in my father writing a check for the car. Now here's the best part. My father went on to buy 4 or 5 more cars from Antonio and I bought 3 from him before he left the dealership to become a lawyer many years later. I can remember walking in the dealership after we had purchased a few cars and one of the frat boys asked "Hey how are you doing? Can I help you?" To which I always replied - "I'm here to see Antonio". Never judge a book by it's cover.
Ford announced today, a 50% Q2 reduction in Superduty production. Because of supply chain issues.
I don't know what it's like in the US, but here, there are way more pickups on the road than cars. Before all this sickness, the big 3 dealer lots were 90% trucks. I have heard that in Alberta that a superduty is a woman's truck, and that most guys have one ton dual wheel trucks. We had ordered a new F650, and I guess we just got in under the wire.
My primary day job is horse/livestock trailers with a dash of toy haulers. I have manufacturer's that are currently over a year out on an order, where they are usually 12 weeks. Units finishing often have to sit awaiting a window or sofa, or A/C. Crazy. Talked to my Cat rep and my J/D ag rep last week about what they were taking to display at an event, and both said NOTHING. We don't have anything to take. The J/D guy said he'd already sold the lawnmowers he figured would take all season to sell. Has no Gators, and few tractors. The Cat guy said he'd have to take rental units... Some of my manufacturers will no longer price a unit until it finishes. They add whatever surcharge applies at the time. No Ford or GM heavy duty trucks around either.
This is kind of an amazing car dealer inventory story, that happened to me today. I had mentioned that I was looking for a one ton dually, which was very hard to find. I really wanted a one ton SRW for pulling our RV, but those are just not possible to find anywhere, with a nice interior. The local GM dealer that I have been working with, had no one tons on the local lot, where they usually have many. They found 2 dually one tons at their big lot about 30 minutes from here. So, I figured I would have to get a dually if I wanted the payload and towing capacity. I went to look at the two they had, and right across the highway from their lot, the Ford dealer had a crewcab, one ton, long bed SRW pickup, in the nice trim package. It was not on their website when I checked 2 days ago. I stopped in, they offered me what I paid last year for my 3/4 ton GMC shortbed, and I bought the new F350 right then and there. As a bonus, it already had the puck system, PLUS, a complete 5th wheel hitch installed. I had looked all over north central Texas for a SRW one ton, for the last 3 months, and one shows up today. I do believe it was my lucky day. Jeff
What a beautiful rig! It’s a fo by fo. Automatic, no stick. Mudflats on the back. So the sheriff don’t bitch!
She's a beauty. Bosses son just got one like it but black. They couldn't find him one with the rubber flooring though.
Beautiful truck MM. I've got the same rig in XLT - wish I had that tan leather! I really like the Ford factory goose/5th wheel package. Ford should just make it standard in the Super Duty's.
Your tires are dirty
I notice a lot of southern driveways are concrete. Is it a price thing, or a hot weather thing?
Price. It's cheaper to pour concrete than mob an asphalt crew for a small driveway. The break over size driveway is around 60' where asphalt becomes cheaper than concrete. 95% of the new driveways here on concrete.
That truck looks like mine for sure. I am surprised mine had the light colored interior. Seems like black or dark gray is pretty much standard in everything. Where's your mudflaps? . We don't need them in Texas, we need "dust flaps". Jeff
Here, we do 2 and a half inches for about $2.50 a square foot. That is with an average thickness of 3 inches of gravel underlay. Distance from the plant, how much hand work, how many joints, and how much prep can affect the price. But lets say you live within 30 miles of the plant, 60x12 straight run, paint it out, cut out the grass, quick grade, 60 foot, 6 inches by 13 feet of gravel at approx 3 inches, spread, grade and compacted, then paved, $1800.00 plus tax. I think concrete here is about $120.00 a yard, not sure about the cost to form and pour. I know I got a 35 foot curb poured in my back yard. I did the prep myself, they formed and poured it. Even with my so called employee discount, it cost me $900.00
Concrete is over twice that price now, around here. They also have put a $100.00/load surcharge on each load. You have to order your concrete about 6 weeks in advance to get it at all.
Have a slab out front of the house garage, six inch pour KNOWING would end up with something too big Too heavy going on it, 1/2" rerod in it and fibermesh mix. From that chuck of mix will end up staying in rock as passes in front of the real shop then on down to the highway, 710' worth, so Rock wins here.
How can you pave a 60' long driveway 12' wide with 2.5" of asphalt and 3" of gravel base for $1800 and make any money?
It's a strange system. I could make it ready in.....say an hour, and they could pave it in 30 min. 10 or 12 ton of gravel, around the same amount of asphalt. My end , the prep would be about $500. Compact grader, working for less than an hour, the roller for about 5min. Same truck that dumps the gravel moves the roller and grader in one move. 3 guys, laborer (whitehat) truck driver and myself. The gravel we use is a bi product of making asphalt agg. Their cost for 16 metric tonnes is $90.00. If I wanted to buy the same load, it would cost me $350.00. The pavers, If I have made it ready right, back the spreader in, take a dump from the truck, worm some out for a pad, set the spreader down and go. a bit of hand work at the road for aprons and a joint. Put the roller on it while they move the spreader to the next one. Paving crew has 3 men on the spreader, a raker man, and the roller man. One of the guys on the spreader drives the service/ float truck, and a driver for whatever truck brought the asphalt. A driveway like this, as long as they are not too far apart, you could do 8 or 9 a day. Even if you only made $200.00 bucks a driveway, there is $1800.00 a day. Now say the driveway was 60 by 24. Same amount of asphalt, but the price takes a $400.00 jump because the spreader has to go back in and make another strip. These little driveways are great advertising, because the look good. I have had driveways that can take 2 or 3 days to prep, and I have had to use the big Volvo grader. A couple of years ago, after the end of lobster season, half a million in driveways in an area where the fishermen live. A couple of them were over 300 ton. Something quick and easy, is a fairly reasonable price, but there are enough people around keeping up with the Joneses to make up for it, Makes it easier to because the only material we have to buy is the asphalt liquid. We make everything else our self. As long as they keep paying me, I'm happy.
60x12x4" slab, graded, formed and poured about $2900 +/- Limestone Concrete with air is about $150/yard, wire mesh $10/sheet.
Local Concrete work is a Taste higher here, checked with the guys that poured our foundations and entry slab, to concrete just from our house to the shop leaving the rest as Rock would be over $20k. Right at 40 yards at a six inch pour. Just concrete no reinforcing materials here from local supplier is over $7000 and that with a drainage pipe under it from a high spot water holding area. Already have rock base well established and layout lines determined where would be 30' wide to the shop. Rechecked drive length from house slab to highway, which is 16' wide in several spots, 950+ feet.
Been out sweeping parking lots. That's a service I think that does not make money. $450.00 for an L45 volvo with an open broom for 3 hours, then the bobcat will have to go some time with the pickup broom the clean up the ends where I swept the sand, and clean up the corners and narrow spots. So dusty, don't have water on the loader broom. Went in at 4am before any of the surrounding houses came out to see the dust. Got my call Friday. Spring weight restrictions are lifting early this year, so after a long winter of sitting on my hands, and plowing a bit of snow, I can finally get back to work on the 10th. Great for you guys, as I won't be commenting on every second thread, and taking it off topic for a while.
You're not charging enough. And how do you make your own Asphalt? You have a heated drum and mixer?
We are a paving company. We do our own crushing, paving, grading, trucking water and sewer. We are no where near the largest road building contractor in the province, but they employ 100 or so people from May till November. Most of the trucks and equipment are fairly new. I think the oldest loader is an 08. The excavators are the same. New cone crusher last spring, new L180H Volvo loader the fall before that, and a new 980M the spring before that. They must be doing something right, they pay well, time and a half after 50hrs, paid meals after 12hrs. paid holidays, vacation pay, bonuses at Christmas. They provide me with a company truck if I'm not working with my regular crew. They pay for all my safety training, and gear. The only thing old is the actual asphalt plant. They keep it up to par, but she is an old 2 ton batch from back in the 50s. I think the mixer man can get around 1400 tonne a day out of her on a highway job if he has trucks steady enough to keep her mixin steady. These guys have been on the go since the 40s. Another guy not far away had a 1/4 ton batch. The 2 companies always worked together. We stayed away from patching jobs, and things that their plant could handle. The old fella died, and his son sold out to a housing contractor. He gets a summer under his belt, goes out and buys a 20 ton batch plant, and pretty much spreads the word that he is putting us out of business. A lot of driveways like the $1800.00 one, we can't compete at all. He doesn't even do gravel, just rough it up with a skidsteer, and pave it. For years, our company owners have had a handshake agreement with another company, a couple hours away. They are bigger, a couple portable plants, they service the crab fishermen, and they have lots of money to spare. There were 2 lines at either end of a large community. We don't cross the line at their end of the community, and they don't cross the line at our end. There is a blending within the community. Buddy with the new plant decides to head down into their territory. In fact, he paves a driveway next door to the owner of the company we have the agreement. After a stint of this. the owner of the company with the agreement, calls my boss, and says we're comin up. You know why, nothing against you. Just to keep the peace, he tells my boss to consider the blending community to be ours, for now, and to go ahead and go a bit farther if we want. It was an all out paving war that summer. People were getting that $1800.00 driveway done for $900.00. Things are kind of back to normal now, both companies have moved back to their corners, and buddy with the 25 tons shoddy work is starting to show. Keep in mind to that the price goes up significantly if the terms of the $1800.00 driveway. More complicated prep work, walkways. A 15 foot walk way that has to be paved by hand is about $300.00 Stamped asphalt is double. Coloring is expensive. I think they're doing ok.
That's why I asked the question up thread - I'm not a paver but I know I would paving driveways all over the area and loosing money on each one. Of course regional costs are all different but damn that's cheap.
Still not getting notifications Picked up the truck Friday Didn't realize this thing sits about 3 inches higher then my 08 3/4 truck. Its at least 2 foot longer and a 2 to 3 inches wider. Rides nice with the 20's
Well I finally found a car for my wife. After looking it over really well and running a scan tool. It's a good low mileage car. I did however find one problem. A sensor is broken off and dangling. The zip ties didn't hold together. I told the salesman you fix that and you got a deal. He agreed and took it into their shop. That was at 9:00am. I left to go to the bank and have a five figure cashier's check made out to the dealership. I decided that I would wait to see the quality of the repairs before I hand over a check. I have made 4 calls to find out if the car would be ready today or another day. The shop doesn't know anything about the car and I am not getting calls back from the salesman. At this point I don't feel that they earned their money and I am considering just walking away from the deal. All paperwork is done all that is needed is to fix the car and pay for the car. What would you guys do in this situation?
It depends. Did they find something else wrong with the car? Are they upset you're complaining? Maybe they have another buyer interested?
As far as being upset that I found a problem with the car. If he was pissed about it then he should have said no to the repair and I would've left. I am about to throw down a lot of money. It may be pocket change to some, but for me it's a lot. And it stings a little to part ways with it. A simple phone call with a update isn't asking to much. When you don't call me I find it disrespectful. I don't care if I am spending one dollar or a million. I expect the million dollar service. If they found something else wrong with the car I would be surprised. It's a pretty solid little car. But again a simple phone call would suffice. I am not a picky person that is complaining about every little thing. Respect and gratitude is all that I expect. If there's another buyer then he can have it. Because if I don't hear from them an hour after they open. I will walk away. I hate car shopping and want this to be over, but I am not about to give you a lot of money. So that you can disrespect me.
I would call and talk to the sales manager. I bet he get things straightened out. If not, then walk. Jeff
I'm not a Dodge man, but they do have a sharp looking truck
The older I get, the more I hate being around people. It might be just a misunderstanding, or maybe the sales guy's feelings were hurt because he has to take the time to fix the car to sell it. People trying to stab you in the back in order to get ahead, people with no respect for the law (traffic laws ). Customers that think they know how to do your job because their buddy is a landscaper. People that ask a question, and then go on their phone while you explain, and then say sorry can you repeat that. Idiots that stand outside a store disrupting everyone's day because they think the store is public property, and they have every right to enter without a mask. Can I go to your house, and take a **** on your floor, because by your logic I should be able to, I don't like wearing this thing either, but if there is a chance that it might keep my 10 year old Daughter, and my 83 year old mother from getting sick, it's a small price to pay. Peoples attitudes in general. Good thing guns are not legal in Canada, or I would have been in jail years ago. If you are sure of the car, press the issue. If they don't want your business, the walk.
Kudos for you cuttin edge !! You and I think alike. I had a truck dealer give me his final price, A month later he called me wanted to lower it. I told him he should have lowered it sooner, because I bought the same kind of truck $1100.00 cheaper 2 days after I last saw him.
Update... The dealer wasn't very enthusiastic about selling the car. Must of had such a good month last month. That they don't need any sales this month. I never did get a call back. I don't really understand why put me through the whole process of document signing and not following through with a phone call. The sell was done I have the cashier's check in the console. All they had to do was call me and tell me when I can expect to get the car. I'm not going to waste another minute thinking about this. Probably the best thing to happen to me this year.
I just got back from a meeting with a customer. He traded in a 2 year old truck with 80,000 miles on it, dealer gave him $7,000 less than what he paid for it two years ago as a trade in value. He ordered the new truck, because the dealer didn't have what he wanted. Was supposed to arrive this month (two months after ordering), but was just notified he won't receive his new truck for another 8 months. He was driving some kind of SUV/ crossover, because I think he already gave them his old truck to sell. I think if he knew it was going to be 8 months he might have held onto his old truck.
Did he order a 2022 ? I heard some folks are ordering 2022's. Is he getting a free ride until his new truck gets delivered ? That would be awesome !
I don't know what he was ordering, I think it was going to be a service truck or van. Another of my customers is in commercial HVAC, and told me they wanted to hire two new guys, but couldn't get the van's he wanted to put the employee's in. I think he wanted to buy 2 new ford transits and they were 6 months at least from being available. I think they were looking for used ones now.
Not much inventory new or even used around here unless go to the flighty, seedy little lots Used trucks mid line class six up are a joke price wise
The dealer that treated me so poorly called today. They left a message wanting to know when I would be coming back with the money. I called back and couldn't get anyone on the phone. (Big surprise ). The funny thing is that they were calling as I was buying a car. Must have felt the money slipping away The good news is that I got a newer car and it's fully loaded for less money. My wife is happy now . I guess that my stubborn hard headedness paid off this time. Instead of biting me in the ass.
All the incentives are gone. Everything is msrp or higher. If I did it all over again I would not take the 1500 off for financing. The Bank charged 200 to do the loan, and with a 790 credit score they gave me a 5% loan. Found out I can pay as much as I want just have to make car payments for 6 months. So I paid everything down except for 6 payments. In one week they charged $92 in interest. It would have cost me way more then 1300 it I didn't
Paul ; Although they put you through a lot of mental turmoil this is another example where a bad thing turned out to be a good thing. It is awesome to read that you now have a better car for less money.
God works in mysterious ways my friend!
I heard they are going to start making some electronic components in North America. I thought chips for America was a Lays potato chip add. Who knew.......
Wife at one time worked for MEMC, Monsanto Electronic Materials Corporation originally, sold off to a German firm then to a Asian Firm(SE Asian) with a India or Pakistan leadership change and they shipped lock stock and barrel to Malaysia, tooling programming everything. Quality went to crap and the company completely folded. She made the 'Wafers' to produce the chips on, had some really mainstream technology going on with that and all of it lost to SE Asia. Major issue for the move, wages and benefits, where the Asians would work for LESS than 1/5 the packages here. They supplied nearly half the silicon wafers to US Industries back then. TI, Intel, the suppliers for US Auto providers, ALL sent overseas. Only thing that remained here was a legacy of Pancreatic Cancer victims to those that worked the Arsenic based lines. Pulling a Silicon "Log" in a quartz crucible inside a vacuum oven operating at close to 2000 degrees. A Damaged Crucible on raw silicon remnants, 2013. Some of the last pics the wife took before layoff.
When my parents moved to where mom lives now. My father worked as a Ford mechanic, and made $75.00 a week. At that time they had 4 kids, I wasn't born yet. They got a mortgage on an $11000.00 home. You couldn't put a kid through trade school for $11000.00 today.
So the other company has backed off, for now anyway. Did a 70 by 12 this week for $3200.00, so they managed to get the prices up. Up sold him a $700.00 walkway, and he decided on doing in front of his garage. It had never been paved, just grass. 34 by 34 with an 18 foot taper into the 12 foot wide 70 foot driveway for another 10 grand. The other guys were tired of losing money, and there is plenty of work to go around. So that is a jump to $3.80 per square foot. The garage pad is an example of how the price changes for the amount of work. Up to $6.30 per square foot. Behind the house, hand work in front of the garage several joints, and overhead wires. Now the garage was priced for 2 pave and 3 gravel, but it turned out to be clay poor material under the surface. The area is mostly sandstone, but not here. About 2 feet of top soil, and clay under that. We ended up cutting a foot into the clay, laying down geotec, and backfilling with asphalt reject ( asphalt without liquid in it, from cleaning out the plant, they have loads of it, and it's great for wet areas ), and topping off with a 1 inch minus base. Not much money after that, but he only has to pay what he was quoted. You don't run into that problem often, but it happens.
Some new car dealers have empty lots here. Others have brought in a bunch of used cars and trucks, and they price them at new car prices.
Depends if they are working and going through an apprenticeship. I'm not sure what is done nowadays but when I went for apprenticeship training I got training allowance that was the same as unemployment. One year the gov't. forgot to send my training allowance. I should have at least taken a pic. but a few weeks later I got 5 gov't. cheques in the mail to cover my training allowance.
I saw that at the Ford dealer...an 8 year old Toyota Tacoma for only about $7k less than a new one !! I didn't think anyone would fall for it but it was only there a week !
I saw that when I bought my Tacoma in 2013. A truck with 80K miles was about $7,000 less than a brand new one with a warranty. No brainer for me.
Currently we are building a Starbucks in a Ford dealers parking lot. Last Friday I stopped by to check on the job as we are scheduled to be back on site to install the storm drains and grade the parking lot. Wasn't there for 20 minutes until one of the salesladies walked up to the construction fence. The super for the job, the general super for the company and I were standing there shooting the bull. They thought she was there to complain about something they were doing and waved her into the job. She proceeded to ask me if I wanted to sell my F350 and would pay cash on the spot. Considered the offer but where in the hell am I going to get a replacement?
It might be a good time to sell my rust free 1990 F350 Clubcab diesel dually. haha
CM1995, I hear ya. I had purchased a 2019 F-350 work rig right before the world went crazy. I am so tempted to sell it. I'm afraid to use it. It appreciates everyday, but I have no way to replace it. Toss my tools in a minivan, I guess.
I use mine. No way in hell I'm driving a minivan.
minivan=diaper wagon.
Called around looking for a new ford for my dad. Some dealers are asking for 5 to 7k over msrp.
We bought a new Tahoe in January fairly loaded most options are currently unavailable we could sell for close to 20000 over what we paid but she’s afraid we will not find another one for a couple years and this was her dream car