Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Car Haulers

Former Wrench · 2024-05-19 15:36

I live near a discharge port for new cars. Ships will unload 6-8 thousand new cars per shipment. They leave by rail and truck. I have noticed that better than half of the trucks are low-profile Pete's. I understand the desire to keep the load low, but not the overwhelming choice of Pete's. They are great trucks in my opinion, I just don't understand their popularity for car hauling. Any clues?

Replies11
  1. #1Mike L2024-05-19 17:33

    Don’t have an answer but I agree that most of the car haulers i see are Pete’s

  2. #2mowingman2024-05-19 18:16

    Maybe the other brands do not have an option for building a low-profile truck. Now that you mentioned it, it makes me wonder too.

  3. #3CM19952024-05-19 20:04

    See a lot of Volvos around here hauling new cars.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2024-05-19 21:13

    Most cars are hauled by independent haulers today. In years past they were hauled by auto freight companies like Anchor Motor Freight. Nu-Way is another company I remember. Not sure what caused the change to independents but like you mention many of them are Petes. I do remember White made a low profile truck with a lowered roof line for this purpose. It could be that Peterbilt has gone after the market with a truck that works well in the application.

  5. #54x4ford2024-05-19 21:55

    Have jack cooper around here hauling for gm usually in older sterlings that look like they are about to fall apart

  6. #6cfherrman2024-05-21 18:36

    I think sterlings came out like that factory

  7. #7crane operator2024-05-21 18:40

    Pete makes a custom short cab with short doors and sleeper just for car haulers, so they can fit a car over the cab. They have a custom low steer axle on them, and I think the show truck guys use those when they drop the trucks for the "low rider" look. Peterbilt Introduces Model 567 UltraLow Roof Day Cab & Model 589 UltraLow Roof 58-Inch Sleeper for Car Carrier Applications Peterbilt Introduces Model 567 UltraLow Roof Day Cab & Model 589 UltraLow Roof 58-Inch Sleeper for Car Carrier Applications www.peterbilt.com

  8. #8cuttin edge2024-05-24 21:15

    At one time Peterbilt was the highway truckers dream. That or a KW. Not sure if they are still hand built or not. I'd take an 80s style 359 or 379 any day over a Cascadia

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-05-24 23:41

    Aways hatin on pretty good trucks

  10. #10cfherrman2024-05-24 23:52

    Everyone I have seen has not had a good life, people that spend a bunch of money on trucks take care of their trucks, people who cheap out......

  11. #11Tyler d4c2024-05-25 11:37

    Same as anything else.