Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Autocar update

Welder Dave · 2024-05-19 23:34

I went back out to the yard full of vintage machinery. They didn't think it would take much to get the Cummins in the Autocar running. They were considering using it to move some gravel. I looked at it closer and it's not rusted very bad at all. It's in pretty good shape actually. Looks like the seat was recovered but the top has worn off. Headliner looks good and the dash looks fantastic. It has 2 gear shifts but I have no idea what transmission. Sorry for the crappy pics. I tried turning my phone sideways but it didn't work do good.

Replies5
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-05-19 23:50

    Last time I seen a dual stick was in a '56 Mack LTH with the quadruplex twin stick transmission. Scrappy has a video on running his grandpa's old Mack.

  2. #2cfherrman2024-05-21 18:35

    Cool truck. Zoom with your feet dave

  3. #3crane operator2024-05-21 18:37

    Tires will likely be the big cost factor, for getting it back mobile. Bunch of old lock ring rubber on there. Likely brakes and air lines going to need some attention also.

  4. #4Pops522024-05-21 22:07

    Here’s the last one I saw (and drove).

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-05-22 00:44

    If they did use it the gravel is only about a 1/4 mile away. The consensus was it would be faster to fill a 627 scraper with their 988 loader. It's basically just a side street off the highway. The 988 has a bad injector or something so has a bit of miss that makes it a little slower. I'm not sure when they last had the Autocar running. Not too long ago I think. The dump box isn't in the best shape either.