Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Car or truck ?

Madman ยท 2007-02-26 10:00

Hello there, here's a serious question for you : I plan on starting work in the construction industry this summer as a labourer/operator. Will a car be all right for getting to all the job sites or will I need to trade it for a truck ? :beatsme

Replies18
  1. #1PSDF3502007-02-26 11:21

    A car should be fine. Unless you need to cary lots of tools and supplies.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-02-26 14:44

    It all depends on what kind of car you have but a 1/4 ton truck would do like a Ford Ranger sized vehical. If your going to be a operator your machine might be way off on a corner of the site that a car isn't going to make it and your not going to walk 1/2 a mile. If your truck is big enough maybe the contractor you are going to work for will pay for your fuel because your using the truck for work. One of my jobs used to be working in a landfill running excavator or dozer you wouldn't want to be taking a car into I got the company 3/4 ton stuck. You need something that you don't mind getting dirty. I know contractors with 60,000 dollar pickup trucks and you open the door and the truck is filthy They say its a work truck

  3. #3jimmyjack2007-02-26 20:01

    i've always had a truck,but thats me i'd say a cars fine if you don't care about it a mid size truck will be fine if you don't plan on using it for work to carry tools and stuff. some guys who are in the same machine every day have full size truck and carry there own fuel tank for there machine and shovel for the tracks in back,sometimes its easyer to have your own stuff than go looking at the end of the day

  4. #4wrenchbender2007-02-26 20:49

    The RULES of transportation 1 Car must have front wheel drive and monster mudders on front. 2 Truck must have D rings front and rear. 3 Bike must have nut between handlebars and seat this would be the rider. I know bout #3 been there done that cold wet winter days ain't nice. 1&2 is so you can get to the machine ya gonna operate.

  5. #5rino14942007-02-26 21:22

    If you don't need to carry many tools or have to drive far on the jobsite, then get a car to save on gas for travel to and from the job.

  6. #6Dozerboy2007-02-28 00:07

    It all depends, but if you have a nicer car I would trade it in for a truck or SUV. There are some guys that drive little ricers that like to irritate me and I like to push a bunch of 6" or so rock into the access roads for them.

  7. #7CAT245ME2007-02-28 09:02

    Personaly for me, I have full size trucks because I need them year round my self but I know others that drive cars and mini vans on the job sites and havent had any problems yet.

  8. #8murray832007-02-28 18:25

    Truck fer me,tryed taking my 2 door sunfire on the logging road in Cambridge Narrows this summer lol bad idea

  9. #9Grader4me2007-02-28 19:03

    Hey there Murray...Whatca doin up in the Narrows...That's not to far from me

  10. #10murray832007-02-28 19:17

    We built a road for JDI since they were pretty busy I just built the one on this main drag that went on forever,I was supposed to be on the 4 man crew up that way which made headlines as you may have heard lol.

  11. #11Grader4me2007-02-28 19:23

    Yup...Big story up here. Had your chance to be famous...or sued

  12. #12Countryboy2007-02-28 19:27

    So whats the story........maybe a link to the headlines.

  13. #13murray832007-02-28 19:29

    The 4 guys who ran the gear on that job are black balled so their time as operators here in NB are finished.Gulf went up and cleaned up their mess I wanted no part of it.

  14. #14Countryboy2007-02-28 19:36

    Yeah, that sounds like a bad situation.

  15. #15murray832007-02-28 19:53

    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/02/05/nb-irvingheron.html

  16. #16Countryboy2007-02-28 20:14

    Man, thats BIG trouble there. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup There are a couple of very small wetlands areas on the quarry property here. We have taken every measure possible to keep them from being harmed. Its been a long time since this company got a citation from the EPA......1984 I think. This company is very conscious of the environment because its alot cheaper to follow the rules than to break them. Sorry to get off topic. I prefer trucks.

  17. #17murray832007-02-28 20:29

    I left a division of that company this winter since I had enough of the BS. Anyway back to the origional idea of the thread lol depending on the terrain your gonna be going into will tell you truck or car. Just a tip if the site is bad like large rocks and mud,car pool with another guy who may live near you.You save on gas and don't wreck your car its a win win situation. 5 weeks of shale and uneaven roads ended up costing me the car's CV joint,motor mounts and a tranny pan those roads are a death wish to a car thank god I wasn't in the Narrows and in my yard when it died on me.

  18. #18thejdman042007-03-01 11:14

    Depending on your company, some companies make you drive to the job site. It maybe on the other side of town, the next town over, 2 towns over etc. Some companies drive to the home pit climb in a company truck and go to the site, others make you drive yoruself. Might want to find that out (ie if your driving 2 towns over to get to work everday car wise, fuel wise your better off). Otherwise a truck is the way to go but whatever you drive, your gonna get it muddy and pretty beat up.