Does anybody run any carbide blades? If so where are you or your employer getting them from? Thanks in advance!
not sure about a complete carbide blade but we have sold a lot of them with inserts that drive in like on a trencher or stump cutter they are made by Bucyrus blades
I ran carbide tipped blades when pushing snow on paved roads for VDOT. I believe they got them from Kennametal. http://www.kennametal.com Try there, I'm sure they have what ya need.
Thanks Vahighwayman! I believe that was the place I was looking for!
carbide blades kenametal sells them here in alberta.If you use them in abrasive materials you should put hardfacing weld on the front of the pockets or they wear quickly.Kenametal also sells a protective plate which bolts over the top of the carbide blades, leaving the tip protruding and the pocket protected.The plates do cover the tips a little too much but they soon wear down allowing the tips to work and the pockets protected.Plates last about 2000 hrs,welding about 250 to 300 hrs blading gravel roads.
I think you are refering to carbide stinger bits or sandvik bits. I've used them machining gravel roads. He's looking for the blade sections that have a carbide edge that runs down the length of the blade section. We've used them on the graders during the winter pushing snow off hard surface roads and doing blacktop and shoulder work.
yes vahighwayman i was thinking about the sandvik type tips .we use the type you are talking about on our highway snow plow trucks. we also tried the carbide insert blade on a couple of graders doing road maintence.They lasted good , about 1200 hours but the extra fuel ,tires and wear did not seem to justify.They would be good in certain applications . Kennametal sells them also.
All we used our graders for so far this year was pulling ditches for VDOT on paved roads. And after going through a normal set of blades every 3-4 days you got to find something else. I luckily found a used set just laying around in a junk pile somewhere and snagged them for now I will look into Kennametal's site and get in contact with them to price a new set. I think i'm just going to use a cover blade infront of the carbide ones.