I need help! I have an old AC HD6B dozer with a Carco winch. Think it's a F-6 series. I need a picture or info on how to attach the cable to the winch drum. What kind of thimble or termination goes on the end of the approx. 7/8-1" cable to attach to the winch drum. Winch cable was locked to the drum perfect before the neighbor used it and somehow unwound the winch cable by accident! The end of the winch cable had a "wire rope clip" locked into the winch drum depression and it has stayed there working for me for the last 20 years. I never unwound the winch enough to see how someone years ago jerry rigged it with this wire rope clip. But it has held till this situation and I would like to repair/install the cable to the drum properly/safely. Have looked online for hours and cannot see anything about how the cable attaches to the depression in the drum! Even the Carco manual doesn't tell me. Here are a couple pic's of the winch drum. Had about 125' of 7/8-1" cable that was on the drum. Thanks, Bob
You might try posting that on the A.C.M.O.C. forum. Lots of those winches used on the old Cats. It almost looks like it used a wedge but the piece that forms the slot has broken away. Cat cable controls used a wedge that fit it the tapered slot. The cable end looped around most of the flat wedge and the very end of the cable was left sticking out the bottom of the slot a couple of inches. We used to make those wedges out of 1/2"plate for 1/2"cable. Phil
Most winch ropes have a ferral on the end that fits into a recess or socket of some sort, but that looks like the rope clamp has been doing the job and once there are a couple of winds on the drum they hold it in place. As long as there is always a layer of rope left on the drum the ferral doesnt take any of the line pull any way. One should always leave at least 3-4 winds on the drum at all times.
Posted the question there anyway, hoping someone will post a pic. http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=8590
Thanks for the help guys! I use the winch lightly maybe once a year so I now can get it back together. This cable will be a bear to wind up tight because it is old and somewhat twisted but I'll get an (L7) ferrule/ "bull line nubbin or ferrule" properly sized and put on. I wish I'd never loaned the tractor out but I can now get it back in shape. Bob
i checked my carco winch this weekend and it has a large swaged end on it, about 1-1/2" in diameter. it hooked under a small tab to hold it until it got a few turns on it. looks like yours is worn away. did not have my camera to take pics, will try next weekend. the cable clamp should do the same thing.
That would be great if you could post a picture of your winch drum notch for the cable. I would like to see the tab on the drum and the cable swaged end. I could weld the drum up back to what it originally should be like. Thanks for the help!
here are some pics of my hd5 carco winch with the swaged end intact where it is held. i hope this helps.
Wow, Thats amazing my winch drum could wear that much! I might as well re-weld up the winch drum and put on a new thimble on the cable. Thanks for the pictures! Bob