Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Career Advice

diver2diver · 2010-01-04 19:14

To all I am currently in the Marine Corps and have I have about 3 years left till I retire, I worked on KC-130 and AV-8B aircraft as power plants mechanic for most of my career where I have towed many aircraft using a tow tractor. I am currently in Afghanistan where I have not really worked on aircraft so much, but have been running equipment such as telehandlers (T40140) and front end loader with forks. I have really enjoyed doing these things and would like to become a heavy equipment operator when I retire. I have been operating a 10k forklift which was just upgraded to a 15 K this year for the past 5 years. I have looked in to some schools such as ATS which is nice because one of the schools is close to family in Texas. But I am reading mixed things about the training of the schools and other operators options’ about how to learn the ropes. The schools themselves are no problem for me to attend I just need some sound advice on breaking in to this career field, I have a sound employment record and how much will this play into me breaking into this field as well. As well as some advice on what I can do in the meantime to gain some sort of knowledge to help me in the future. My idea for job placement that I envision for myself would be something like an open pit mining, landfill or even a gravel pit. I am I being a little of ahead of myself I don’t know but I have 3 years to fine tune my plans.

Replies9
  1. #1bill onthehill2010-01-04 19:48

    Can you change your MOS to get in a construction group? If you can get some wheel loader or gradall experience you could likely get first dibs on a local or state government road crew.

  2. #2diver2diver2010-01-05 09:39

    No, as Gunny Sergeant a move to an MOS's like that, is not an option. But I when I return back to North Carolina I will be changing jobs on the Air Station so I may be able to sneak some OJT in if I play my cards right. I just found out about the Helmet to Hard Hats program too. I am trying to network here in Afghanistan and trying to run some more gear. Like I said before I ran Marine Corps Tram which has the same functions as a wheel loader, but has forks instead of the bucket, it can have a bucket too I just don't have access to it. I moved a lot of gravel today with a John Deere compact tractor butman was it slow. I ending up talking with the Constuction crew and they sent over a loader/ backhoe and really helped me out a ton. I am like the go to guy here when someone needs something moved, I have moved generators, trash, over sized loads all with the bobcat and that thing amazes me as to what it can do. If only it had a bucket with it! Anyways if it was not for this stuff I have been doing I would truly be bored over here.

  3. #3diver2diver2010-01-10 12:46

    Wow is it that bad out there for information, I figured I would be slammed with Pro's and Con's from this posting.

  4. #4qball2010-01-10 15:44

    i can tell you that most contractors would be more than happy to hire a vet with experience.

  5. #5diver2diver2010-01-11 00:47

    This is what I understand, but are the schools good enough to gain the experience they want to hire for? Is it possible to sell my inexperience moving dirt but running large equipment/ aircaft safely a big plus?

  6. #6Greg2010-07-06 20:14

    You should have a real easy time moving into an A & P position with all of your experience working on military aircraft. The way the economy is right now that would be your best bet. Three years? who knows.

  7. #7Greg2010-07-06 20:16

    Oh ya, if there was enough work around I would hire you in a heart beat. Even with loosey economy and high unemployment we still can't get good help around here.

  8. #8oldtanker2010-11-02 00:05

    Go to school! Couple of reasons for this. One is that local companies here want guys out of schools with certs and or experanced operators. And 2 is that you will need the time to become human again. I retired from the Army in 96 and got fired from my first civvy job cause I chewed a guy out like he deserved it. Company didn't like that. I wasn't gental enough and hurt his feelings. This was a 50 something guy who was just plain lazy. Rick

  9. #9stumpjumper832010-11-05 21:36

    As an ex-navy petty officer, your going to want at least a year maybe more to civilian-ize yourself. School would be a good idea, consider self employment as well. For someone as crisp and organized as a Gunnery Sargent, the co-workers at a land fill or gravel pit will irritate you. You will find that its acceptable if work starts at 7am, to walk in the door at 7:02 every day. Also its ok to come to work looking like you had a fight with the bed, and the bed won big time. Oldtanker is right, civilians don't understand that when a person in charge says to do something that it should be done promptly and without question. Stay safe and best of luck to you in all of your endevours.