Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and would like some insight into how someone is selected to become an apprentice with a local IOUE. In other words, what is the state and the union looking for in an applicant that will give him or her an edge if any. From what I can gather, the applicants are selected randomly out of a pool of applicants and, then are tested and interviewed. However, there's nothing about experience or work history required as necessary. Is it really just luck and good timing ? Also, the idea family connection or legacy? is not a factor either. Or, at least, it's not supposed to. Does anybody have any insight from past experience or otherwise about how this works. Especially, if your in the NY area. As for myself, I do have a CDL A but, have never operated a truck on a job. Nor, do I have any experience in Heavy equipment operation or construction. Could someone such as myself, who's in their late 30's but, in good shape looking for a career change join an IOUE?
No replies yet.