Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Career move.

Yz3500f · 2019-02-12 20:20

Hi I'm in the midst of planning a career change and found this site. Hopefully I can bounce some ideas off of ppl around here and gain some advice. I'm 30 yrs old single and looking to get into being a diesel/ heavy equipment mechanic. Iv looked at the CAT thing big program and believe that it would be the best fit for me at this time. Iv been a millwright for 12 yrs working on everything from grain elevators to steam and gas turbines. I'm looking to apply with Peterson cat, Western states cat, and NC machine cat in Alaska. If any one has any advice or things I should consider please chime in Best regards

Replies14
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2019-02-12 21:01

    Contact your local CAT dealer and see if they'll let you "ghost" for the day. They have you work a shift with another tech and see how you like it. You get to see the ins and outs of what a day consists of either on the truck side or equipment side, and gives you a hands on example of what the work entails before investing into an education in the field.

  2. #2Vetech632019-02-13 06:55

    School in computer programing and robotics...……..that's where we are heading.

  3. #3John C.2019-02-13 11:34

    The idea of a ghost tour I think is great. Your back ground indicates to me that the work would not be a problem. The big issue with working for Cat dealers is their culture. Some people work well in it but from my experience those used to handling all their own business find the culture to be somewhat grating and stifling. Taking a look and talking to some people is a great idea.

  4. #4MarshallPowerGen2019-02-13 12:04

    Also Electrical Engineering and Telecom. Lots of money being thrown around in all those fields, and a lot more chance of longevity the way things are heading.

  5. #5Yz3500f2019-02-13 12:49

    Thanks for all the advice so far. The ghost tour is something I will definitely keep in mind. This will be my first job that hasn't been in construction so freedom is something I have grown used to.

  6. #6Delmer2019-02-13 13:28

    Why do you want the change? or what are you hoping to get from the change?

  7. #7Yz3500f2019-02-13 15:35

    Less traveling I spend roughly 9 months of the year away from home. That and iv always been intrested in diesels

  8. #8RZucker2019-02-13 15:42

    I've been there as an operator,and a trucker, and learned I can make more fixing the stuff than wearing it out.

  9. #9MarshallPowerGen2019-02-13 20:24

    Stay away from generators then...

  10. #10Yz3500f2019-02-13 20:43

    How long is a turn around on a generator?

  11. #11Yz3500f2019-02-13 20:45

    And do you work a region or a state?

  12. #12MarshallPowerGen2019-02-13 21:37

    Depends on the company, but many work a region if you're 'stationary' or you can do rotations with rental companies (14 on 10 off, 28 on 14 off, etc) all over the country or world. Personally spent the last 5 years mostly based out of Idaho, but covering Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota. Long days, good money, dangerous situations, and lots of road time living in hotels, but was a lot of fun. Just doesn't play well with those pesky relationships.

  13. #13Yz3500f2019-02-13 21:47

    Thanks for the response. That sounds pretty similar to what im doing now working on steam turbines. I hit the road in January and wont be off till May or June. It was fun at first but now im looking for something a little more local.

  14. #1492U 34062019-02-13 22:50

    I work at a CAT dealer. There are a few ThinkBig students in the shop here. Kind of seems like its a modified apprenticeship of sorts. They more than likely won't stick an inexperienced or new worker in a field truck for at least a few years. More than likely you'd be working in the shop with more experienced workers. There is alot to learn working at a CAT dealer if you're working general line.