Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Careless Mistake

BIGDAN315 ยท 2010-01-26 16:55

I got careless and failed to check antifreeze before it got bone chilling cold here in NY state :Banghead. Well It froze up an cracked some where and now the coolant runs right into the oil pan. It's a case 1845 with a I think a 60 hp diesel engine. My question is, where are they most likely to crack and is it repairable? I herd you can stop the leak with boiler stop leak Is this true?

Replies11
  1. #1CRAFT2010-01-26 23:58

    DON'T go there with stop leak if the water is going into the oil pan !!! ....you'll wind up buying a totally new engine ...if it is getting into the pan then find out from where first .... it might be that the oil cooler cracked ... I would almost doubt that you broke the block .... does the engine still run ? ...if so does the engines push white smoke/steam out the exhaust ? ... it could be that the head crack thru one of the oil journels .....there are lots of tests that you do first before writing it off.

  2. #2KSSS2010-01-27 01:02

    Worst case and you need a new engine. You can get a Reman 3.9 cheap. Infact you could likely bolt up a 3.9T if your feeling frisky, don't know that the 1845C would hold up to that kind power but I would bet it would fit. I think that motor is around 3K. It is turning out 56 hp in an 1845C

  3. #3BIGDAN3152010-01-27 07:06

    Craft; It still runs fine, as a matter of fact i drained the oil and water from the pan and added fresh oil and ran the engine. How do you know if the head is cracked other than pulling it off? Did not notice any white smoke but then there was not any water in the system. The oil cooler is fine. The machine has other issues besides the engine so don't know if it is worth repairing. I want to up grade to more hp and with aux. hyd machine.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2010-01-27 18:49

    cracked block Blue Devil head and block sealer, it works on most cracks. I may stop your radiator up (Ive never had that happen) but if your machine has other issues, this may get you working again. You must use the amount they recommend, usually two bottles and I think its like $40 a bottle. If its doesnt work they will give you your money back, so its worth a try. Save your receipt and bottles. You can Google it and read about it. Most parts stores has it or can get it. Carquest in my area stocks it Good Luck

  5. #5DRPEPPER2010-01-28 06:34

    how much water goes in the oil if its just filling the oil pan it most likly is a freeze plug that poped out

  6. #6BIGDAN3152010-01-28 07:35

    Allot, it runs in as fast as I pour it in the radiator and flows out the oil fill tube. I did not know there where freeze plugs internally :beatsme

  7. #7BIGDAN3152010-01-28 17:48

    Update Just a update. I pulled the valve cover off today and low and behold there lay 3 freeze plugs on top of the head all blown out. Thanks HEF and all that replied for helping me out. :notworthy

  8. #8DRPEPPER2010-01-28 18:02

    thats what i was thinking if it cracked it wouldnt fill that fast and thats what they were designed to do

  9. #9CRAFT2010-01-29 01:10

    Congratulations on searching alittle more on your own ..... aren't you glad you didn't pour a stop leak product into it ... can you imagine the gumming up on everything

  10. #10BIGDAN3152010-01-29 12:43

    Yes I am glad for searching and for not adding any stop leak for the stop leak would not have worked and would of been a waste of time and money. I though about it after what DRPEPPER said about the amount of water pouring into the oil pan it had to be a big hole. It was, 3 big holes where the plugs go.

  11. #11CRAFT2010-01-29 23:02

    Boy am I glad I re/read the last posts ....Hmmmm learned something again ...another day of success .... did not know of the frost plugs in a head all of my diesel have external frostplugs on th head ... on my Cat ex I had to replace the water pump a few years ago it was mid October, had a blockcleaner/ rad flush in the system .... was in the flushing out steps, ran it all day and got lazy at days end Ahhhhh crap I'll put the Anti freeze in at tomorrows end ....YA RIGHT ...that night a freek storm came in and temps dropped to -10c below .... popped the plugs outside of the head and busted the oil cooler ..... YOU'RE not alone ! ....ITS FUN BEING AN OWNER OPERATOR ....lol ... couldn't even fire myself for stupidity ...lol