Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cas 580c starter won’t engage

frankdb ยท 2023-10-09 09:35

So we got an old case 580c and I'm in the process of looking it over and checking injector pumps in need of a rebuild. ....but I can't get it to start. The wiring is shot so the only way to start I is by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. It's been firing up just fine but this morning it decided not to start. The starter spins but it's not engaging the flywheel. Shuttle and gear shifter are in neutral. Parking brake is up (but brakes don't work anyway). Any idea what the problem can be?

Replies6
  1. #1mekanik2023-10-09 10:15

    Sounds like an internal problem with the starter. The sprag clutch on the starter pinion has probably failed.

  2. #2stinky642023-10-09 10:20

    If you're jumping the starter at the solenoid none of that other stuff should matter, sounds like the bendix stopped engaging and is not making contact with the flywheel. You can check this by removing starter and bench testing. Give 'er a few taps with a hammer while jumping, maybe you'll get lucky.

  3. #3frankdb2023-10-09 10:37

    Thanks for the replies. I tried tapping with the Hammer but it didn't help. Might need to get a bit more aggressive

  4. #4frankdb2023-10-09 11:42

    Never bench tested a starter before. I'm assuming I need some pretty beefy wires I order to do that right?

  5. #5stinky642023-10-09 12:10

    Jumper cables will do, ground the black cable from the - post on a good battery to a good clean spot on the case then contact positive cable to the terminal you've been jumping to and see if the bendix extends when the starter starts spinning. If not you may have a bad solenoid Be careful not to touch any grounded part of the starter with the positive cable or fireworks will ensue.

  6. #6frankdb2023-10-09 20:32

    Appreciate the help!