I hope some folks can chime in and tell me if the Case 1080B was a decent machine. I have the chance to purchase one for scrap value, it runs out real strong the left track is just locked up almost like a brake is on "I noticed in the cab track lock on/off button" could it be as simple as that? but anyway it has the case engine not sure if thats a plus or not over the detroit, it has the wider pads it has leveling turntable again not sure if thats good or bad it has 5,500 hrs i'm giving you guys all the info I have so hopefully some folks can tell me to steer clear of it or jump on the deal model no is 1080B product identification number is 6272103 I think it's a 1989. I think the engine tag is A504PDT and serial number on the engine tag is 10375291 any info is much appreciated Thanks a million Danny
these machines never had brake capable of holding track. I'd guess gear box problem ps have some parts left around
Thanks for the reply Steve, what I don't understand is, the machine worked flawless 4 months ago then the guy who is selling it had a guy come try it out and the left track just all the sudden stopped working, no funny noises, no clunks, no grinding, etc. that's why i'm hoping/praying it's something stupid, if it's not something simple, what would be your guess as far as price for parts, I can do the labor. also is it worth it?/what would a good running case 1080B be worth? I am getting the machine for scrap value. are parts still available for these machines, were they good machines, what years were the 1080B produced?? Thanks again for your help. I'm shocked there is not much info on them when I search the web, hopefully more members will chime in
Actually the brake will stop the track even at full throttle full travel. I had one with a key switch power supply problem and the brakes would not release. I could push full travel and just lug the engine hard. If I wiggled the key a bit the machine would start moving again.
Mobiltech that's the answer I was looking for, It has to be something simple, do you know roughly what the machine is worth and if that leveling turntable was a good or bad design? Thanks for your time
1080B machines They are about as simple as it gets, no computer, no high pressure pumps or motors, you can work on them with limited tools and pressure gauge set ups. That being said the machine weight is about 46,000 lbs. with the 30 inch pads and standard stick is 9', the other stick is 10' 6". The engine 504 is around 160 hp and will use around 5 gal fuel per hour, the swing works at 6 plus rpm, and the combined hyd system is at 113 gpm. It is a 1 yd machine, and does not have the old Drott block bearings and axles that you hear every one complain about (the 1080 still had them but the B's had the new finals which had solved the issues of the past). Within a few years Case stopped production and brought in the Poclain machines during the late 80's. The thing to look at is the swing box bolts, there is three bolts and spacer washers that hold the swing box down on the plate mounted to the car body that when not checked worked loose causing the box to move around or even jump up and out, or brake the ears on the swing box lower housing. Does the track try to move at all or is it locked? I would pull the cover over the walking motors, check and see if the side that is working has the brake line plugged and also look on the side that is not working to see if it's plugged. If it's plugged you may have a final issue and if not it could be elect with the valve that sends pressure to the brake, or piston damage/disc/plates in the brake housing. You should be able to slide the pump off the brake housing with the hoses still hooked up and then remove the brake assembly, then drive the machine with the one track pulling to see if the final is still locked up or free. Can give you more info if needed. The 504 has been around forever, they did a good job, oil changes, API rated CD or CE oil with at least .10 % zinc and oil changing at 100 hrs. Keep the cooling system in good shape. Keep the temp below 210, keep up on engine valve adjustments. Once again we are looking at a 30 yr old machine, it will not be like new, and if you can pick it up for scrap and you need it, it may pay off. Then again if it has too many bugs then you can part it out or scrap it later.
The turntable leveler is a good tool to have, it's used to level the machine on slopes, get extra depth and height off the side. The machine may also just stripped out the drive coupler between the drive motor and input shaft on the final drive.
Holy Cow Sheepfoot!!!! what a wealth of knowledge. have you owned one of these machines? the guy selling the machine said when the track stopped there was no noise or anything it just stopped. I did notice when i went to look at the machine yesterday the key switch was hanging down and 3 of the wires were pulled out of it also the track brake switch was in the on position and one of the wires going to that switch looked very loose and to answer your question if the track try's to move i'm not sure. i am taking 2 new batteries up this week but i am afraid if I get the track working the price is gonna go up. I'm guessing parts are still available according to the case web site. also how hard is it to replace the front crank seal? I noticed that was leaking at the front of the engine behind the harmonic balancer. Thanks for your time
I would bet that both brakes are on but the right isn't holding and the left is . There is a brake light on the dash that should come on when you switch the brakes to on . When you lose power from the key that light won't come on at all. When you switch the brakes to off the light should go out. You should see the lines pressure up to the motor and the engine should lug if it's just the brake holding it back. There are two pillow block bearings on each final drive on each side of the sprocket that need to be greased. I repaired one that hadn't been greased and the bearings are pricey.
I appreciate the info Mobiltech, do you have any idea what the value of a machine this size would be if everything is working properly? I ask this question because when I get it home if I find out it is something major/pricey my excavator project will surley end quickly. Thank You
Back a number of years ago there were lots of 580Bs in MN that were outfitted with tree shears and a few with stroke delimbers for the logging industry. They held up well with proper maintainance. The biggest logger complaint was their weight. it took a good freeze for them to stay on top in the swamps. Every now and then I come across one that is still being used.
hello Old Iron Habit, I have only ever seen them with a bucket, never seen an excavator with a sheer head, it's a really decent excavator, I like it because of the weight yet it's not huge in actual size. it runs out real strong except for the track issue, but Sheepfoot defenitley has that covered. I decided to buy the machine. I'm so excited to get it home just have to wait for this snow storm to pass tomorrow
Does anyone know if parts are inner changeable from a case 880D excavator to a case 1080B excavator? like tracks, rails, pads, idlers etc? thanks in advance
1080 a straight old 1080,here in B.C.
will parts from a 880D fit on a 1080B??
old-iro i just re-read your post you said 580b's were fitted with tree shears, did you mean 1080b's i didn't think case made a 580b excavator
Dapperdan 16, Their is not much that will fit from the 880D to the 1080B parts wise. The 880 size machine is 1/2 -3/4 yd machine. The track system, hyd system, cylinders, turn table and swing box, engine, bucket are all different. The 880 matches more with the older Drott 35 and the 1080B is more Drott 40 D,E, Case 1080. Your machine s/n has several upgrades from the straight 1080, the biggest was the final drives, hand and foot control valves were changed to a different vendor, pumps and walking motors were changed with upgraded bearings and different valve assembly for the two speed track drive system.
ok I understand thank you, what is the little red button on top of the left hand joy stick controller? a boost of hydraulic pressure? thats what i was thinking but am not sure. I can't wait till I get this thing home I'm so excited
Fast hoist, adds extra pump flow to increase boom lift speed.
Thank You Sir, One last question "I promise" it's bedtime, where is the best place to order parts for this machine, case online? or do you know of a better/less expensive alternative? I wanna order the idler and front engine crank seal. Thanks again for all your time spent explaining everything in detail to me, this is my very first excavator, I have owned a cat D4D and a case 580c backhoe for about 6 years but never an excavator i'll be sure to post pics when it arrives
Did u ever find the issue with this? Because I am having same problem!!