Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1088

bxberg76 · 2021-06-11 08:33

I am new here. Need some advice on what to do with our case 1088 track hoe. First the control hoses are all rotted out and leaking in various places and the fittings are difficult to find. I have had a couple hoses made but they used 3000 psi hose and it is to big to fit in the control arms in the cab. I was wondering if because the control pressure is around 500psi if there was a plastic tubing and field installed fittings that might work. Also the other day it was running good and then the boom would not lift. It would go down but not up. Had enough pressure to lift the track but had to move the stick to let it down? And when it got throttled down it died and wont restart. I found the VE pump leaking between the distribution head and the main body so I have ordered a seal kit for that. The swing has a lot of slack. For instance if I have the bucket off the ground I can move it side to side quite a bit. Is there some adjustments on the mesh between the swing motor and the ring gear? Anyhow is this thing worth fixing? I was wondering if a different/ more modern pump could be retro fitted and made to work?

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-06-11 12:37

    I’m no help w the hydros but I do know my way around a VE pump (in the dark) If you’ve never been in 1, I don’t recommend it.. U loosen those 4 screws holding the head, and all the guts are laying on the table.!! Just a little FYI from your neighborhood pump guy..

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-06-11 13:42

    Welcome to HEF, bxberg ! Go back to where you had those hose made with your old ones and explain the problem with the ones they made. If they are decent people they will take care of you. I don't wrench on excavators, so I can't help you. Be patient tho because HEF has the best in the industry helping on here and it takes a little while for them to find the time to come and help.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-06-12 09:12

    A buddy of mine ran into the same problem w the hydraulic hoses.. & guess who got stuck putting them on.. ME.. I toldm that’s the last hose I’m putting on if he insisted on getting them there..(O’rielys auto parts)

  4. #4bxberg762021-06-13 08:22

    I would like to build and install my own hydraulic lines just need the hose and the fittings. Even the case construction equipment dealer says they aren't available at all? Martin equipment (Deere dealer) was able to make the ones I have gotten but as I said I don't need 3000psi hose and fittings for this application.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-06-13 09:24

    Most online vendors sell pre-made 1 wire hoses as small as 1/4" ID. They are quite inexpensive. I bought quite a few and used them for air lines.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2021-06-14 08:26

    If u have a fork lift dealer anywhere close, they have a truck that goes onsite to make hoses..

  7. #7Vetech632021-06-14 08:53

    I doubt it. Plastic tubing wont last long and isn't designed for that purpose. There is troubleshooting things that can be checked, but you need to get the hose leaks fixed first. Make sure you mark EACH hose if you are removing more than one at a time. If you screw up and get the hoses crossed this is going to get alot more difficult fast! Do whatever TPG says.....and listen closely on anything fuel related to pumps and injectors. This is not something that you should really screw with unless he feels he can guide you through it. Define a lot of slack? Do this last.....get the boom up and run the stick all the way out with the bucket 2 feet off the ground. How much travel distance right to left or vice versa?

  8. #8bxberg762021-06-14 21:39

    Thanks for the advice! I am now thinking about pulling the engine out completely. It has a rear main seal leaking and exhaust manifold bolt broke off in the head also would make removing the pump a bit easier. Anyone have any pictures or diagram of how the pump comes off?

  9. #9bxberg762021-06-14 21:41

    Also the hoses currently on the machine are a non metallic braid. I looked up the number on the house and parker has it listed as discontinued.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2021-06-14 22:00

    Below the injection pump is a push in button.. u rotate the engine by hand.. actually there’s a special tool that makes the job REAL EASY.. U rotate the engine until the button slides into a hole in the cam gear and stop.. On the pump you’ll see a 10mm bolt and spacer washer by the mounting flange.. Loosen the 10mm, slide out the spacer washer and tighten the 10mm bolt..THAT locks the drive shaft on the pump.. Tie the spacer to the throttle lever. In front of the pump is a big plastic SCREW IN PLUG.. use a large pair of Channel Loc Pliers to loose and remove.. You’ll see a nut and washer on the drive gear w 2 threaded holes in the gear.. Remove the nut and washer and screw the nut back on FLUSH.. Get a puller and pop off the gear.. Bam.. your done..

  11. #11bxberg762021-06-15 06:39

    Thanks thepumpguysc. Anyone have anything on the hydraulic pump removal?