Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150 Torque Converter Pressure

979 ยท 2014-05-25 12:17

I have case crawler loader 1150 SN 7301728 With new pressure gauge installed, the maximum I can see is 285 PSI when cool but normally will operate 265-275 PSI and jumps around that area while pushing steady. Before making some rookie mistake, would it possibly be improved with a relief valve adjustment? The machine just doesn't seem to have as much pushing power and has to be at full rev's to creep up a half decent grade. Problem #2: I'm not sure what is normal for a case dozer but the engine is acting like it is governed too low, like very aggressive hunting. It will start hunting around what I feel is 85% throttle. (tach doesn't work). The engine never bogged down from lack of power, never even feels like its breaking a sweat. But - Maybe I only think its governed too low because the machine stops moving forward under heavy load?

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2014-05-25 13:07

    you have cleaned ALL the strainers and replaced all the filters for the transmission I take it? Low pressure is one problem but low flow will describe what you are experiencing. As to engine hunting, sounds like it is on the governor, if you don't have a tachometer do not look to raise the RPMs or adjust the governor, and again that relates to the low flow if the system isn't making pressure and flow it won't deliver HP to the finals. My Allis is rated at 1700RPM, most of the engines in these machines are low speed high torque designs.

  2. #29792014-05-29 18:57

    The suction strainer is freshly cleaned and the high pressure filter is new. If there are any others I am not aware of them. Funny thing is the engine will get to higher RPM when it is cooler, maybe the first 1-2 minutes, when warm it hunts at or near governed speed. The laser tachometer should be here next week to check RPM. Seen the charging pump should be 14 GPM @ 270 PSI and stall speed should be 1625 - 1675 RPM. Let you know how it goes

  3. #39792014-06-04 15:13

    So the laser tachometer came in today. Tested the dozer with the machine warmed up in high gear with bucket stuck in the ground and got 1850 RPM with no hunting, 285-290 PSI on torque converter. At this time I could not get the engine to hunt. Started using the machine to level off freshly cleared land and it wanted to hunt while about 1500 rpm - in 2nd gear. Then for the first time I used it in high gear (4th)and the engine hardly hunted at all. I'm confused. Most of the time in high gear I was at governed speed. Almost seems like with less load it hunts enough to lose a few PSI in the torque converter then it stops pushing. Does anyone know if this was normal for the Case engine or is there something that could be tweaked or tuned to help it run better?