Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d20 help needed

Teddy77 ยท 2014-05-23 21:24

Need help please. I have a komatsu d20 qf-5. Last week I ran it out of fuel. I could crank it over and it would start but then die. It then started to just click and not turn over. I replaced the batteries but still the same. Any wisdom on what is wrong and what I need to do is greatly appreciated. I don't know what year it is.

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2014-05-23 22:26

    Chances are the solenoid contact plate has suffered burns where it will no longer make contact enough to turn it over, in any case the starter needs to come off to determine that or if the starter motor itself is cooked and needing refurb.

  2. #2Teddy772014-05-23 22:33

    Thank you DMiller, I was afraid the starter would need to come off. Sucks that my loader is in the down position. I appreciate the response sir.

  3. #3DMiller2014-05-24 07:05

    My allis starter quit basically same way, had to get another tractor and lifted the bucket arm enough to get in there. A wrecker will work too.