I am looking at a Case 1150B, the owner says that the engine was rebuilt just before it was parked, he says that the torque converter went out shortly after the engine was rebuilt and it has been sitting ever since. He says that it will not move at all. Could this be the torque as he says? If so could it be the torque only or it likely have ruined the trans like on a car or truck. I can purchase it for a great price and I have been building motors and the such for many years and I am very good at projects but know nothing about dozers but not afraid to try it. Could some of you dozer guys give me some opinions/guidance on this? Thanks
Do the hydraulics operate the blade? Does the oil level in the transmission fall once the engine is started? Does the driveshaft give any indication of turning?
Hi Alrman, thanks for your reply. I haven't gotten that far with it yet but I hope to go check it out again and check these things. If these things are not happening does that mean a bad converter or something else? Thanks B-Crazy
Basically, it will tell you if the convertor is turning. A broken flexplate will stop the convertor & hydraulic pump from rotating. If the hydraulics are still working, flexplate will be OK, & if the transmission oil level doesn't drop when started, then the charge pump may have an issue, whether it is has failed or is cavitating / sucking too much air to develop pressure. If the later is the case, there would be some type of driveshaft rotation happening. Take note of any of the pressure gauges on the dash - any sign of pressure would be good. Ask about when it stopped driving - Did it stop suddenly? Gradually as it got hotter in operating temperature? Did it make any noises? Are there any oil leaks evident around the convertor / transmission area?
Cool that will help me decide if I want to buy it. I appreciate your time and willingness to help me get some idea of what type of repair I would be getting into. B-Crazy
Hey sorry to bring this old thread up but I have the same issue with a 1970 1150 Leaking hydro fluid out bottom somewhere Was working find then rapidly died off and stoped moving along with developing said leak Still shows 250psi converter pressure and blade moves fine. After sitting for a few hours dozer seems to move okay again but didn't let it run long. I just wanted to see if drive shaft spun and obviously it did this time but I'm not sure if it was when it stoped moving
I'd check your oil level and find and repair leak. If it is coming out of bell housing then you have a seal leaking and will have to remove and repair.
Think a case has two drive shafts from the TQC because they have two separate trannys one for each track thats how they can counterrotate their tracks.
No. One drive shaft from the T/C to the trans. Each track has it's own direction and speed clutches, and there is a range clutch that gives a total of 4 possible speeds.
I'm pretty sure it's the torque converter. We will tear down this weekend, any good sources for parts to rebuild it? Or someone I should send it to? Thanks
About the only ones that can rebuild that transmission is a Case dealer or some one that has the special tool to set pinion depth and backlash on bevel gears. Do you have any pressure on the gauge on dash?
I have pressure on converter gauge but no movement and I'm leaking a decent amount of fluid. I'm Not worried about trans I'm talking torque converter. I have no fear of tearing it apart but will Have to find the correct seals and bearing for it
You have pressure on gauge and what else? What happens if you put direction levers in gear but leave speed levers in neutral? Does the drive shaft spin? These old Cases are a little tricky, most of the time the mechanical brakes do not work, and you can't use the hydraulic brakes to do a stall test because they disengage the trans.
Dozer was fine until I pushed it hard in some heavy wet clay and then it started its leak. Within 20min it slowly Loss power to move. didnt get to check for drive shaft movement becasue after I parked it and came backs few hours later th dozer moves again with plenty of power and I don't want to run it till it does not move again. So based on my fluid leak and slow loss of power I'm assuming it converter or converter pump. Now if I recall correctly when I was running it my converter pressure was 270 ish even when it would not move so that leads me back to converter I think. Only part I'm not sure on is where pressure is read for converter gauge, if converter is bad and leaking can the pump even put pressure in it?
Maybe you lost enough oil that it got hot or was starving for oil? Get the leak fixed and run it, you might not actually have anything wrong. How low on oil was it? Our 1150C held about 14 gallons, if you were more than 5 gallons low then......
Here is a web site that you can look up parts for your torque converter, www.partstore.casece.com . The converter rebuild kit part# is R40939 whether they're available through Case or not is slim. There is a company in NY that I use Construction Equipment Parts, phone# is 716-836-5069 I usually talk to Kevin Ziliox. Just tell him what you have and he do his best to help you out. Be sure and have you model and serial number and make of course.
Thanks for the info I'll contact them, As of today I moved the dozer to wash it for disassembly. I filled hydro tank even though it was not that low and was able to get dozer to limp along. The driveshaft struggles to turn and my converter gauge is not showing anything. So not sure now if it's a converter issue or pump issue. Hopefully finding the source of the leak will help me determine the problem unless someone has some more experience in the matter
Not sure if you realise that the transmission oil is filled via the dipstick tube located under the operators seat on an 1150B. Locate the leak (hopefully a hose) & then we'll see what we can do to assist
Transmission on 1150B is filled via dipstick tube under floor plate on right side of operator platform. There is a small door that has a hole in it so you can open it. The dipstick has the transmission breather on the end of it. The 450 and 850 dipsticks were under the seat.
Doh! You are correct @Coy Lancaster Just as well that we keep an eye on each other!
Yes we do need to check each other cause we all get it wrong at times. Still Ludgate124 needs to check his transmission oil level.
Well I feel pretty stupid. We didn't realize that transmission resubmit was also for the torque converter. Assumed it used hydro tank net to seat. Also mine is a staight 1150 btw But yeah we filled it, it moves better now but we still have a huge leak. I got the steam cleaner out and pulled off the bottom pan so I could see the converter housing. We could now watch the leak and it is pouring out between the equipment pump and housing because that's lowest point. So all this then tells me that it's either the charge pump leaking internally or the converter leaking. Million dollar question is how do I determine if it's the charge pump or the converter without tearing both apart and looking for a dmagaged seal
More than likely it is coming from the torque converter so you might as well get ready to have it rebuilt.
@Ludgate124 There is a seal that can easily be replaced to repair that leak. Item #11 Early 1150's run a dry hydraulic (equipment) pump drive. You will need to drain the hyd tank to do the pump removal. The convertor may not be 100% efficient considering it's age, but without oil, the machine won't drive. I would repair the leak first & maybe, with the correct oil level, the machine will operate well enough for the use you want to give it?
I don't think the equipment pump is actually leaking. The trans fluid is just coming out between equipment pump and converter housing as that is the lowest spot for it to escape. I am more concerned with where my trans fluid leak is coming from. I understand converter is probably worn but for our limited use if I can just fix the leak I'm happy. So that being said I still don't know how to determine if the charge pump or the converter is leaking. Are there a certain set of ports I could check for a pressure drop on or something to prove the leak is in the converter or probe the leak is in the pump? Just don't want to go through all the work and money for a converter to find out the only thing wrong was a leaking charge pump if that's the case or vise versa Thanks for all the help
@Ludgate124 Item #11 is a seal that is controlling converter/transmission oil - not hydraulic oil. If the oil is leaking from the tell tale hole between the hydraulic pump & it's mounting plate, either the converter seal or the pump seal is leaking. If the transmission oil is disappearing - & oil is leaking at the hydraulic pump mounting adaptor - item #11 is likely the cause of the leak. The pump shaft area is supposed to be "dry" - there is no oil in that area. Can you post a picture of your leak area? Just to be clear on what you are describing?
Just had time to eat into machine tonight and you were dead on with seal 11! Got everything apart and it's shredded Now that was cause by the gear #101 internal spline and the pump drive spline both being worn way down. So looks like I need a new pump and gear as I can't seem to find just a shaft anywhere? Or maybe someone has a source for good uses pump parts Thanks everyone for the pointers glad I'm on the right track here
OK! thats great. I hope your sitting down when you find out how much gear #101 costs at your friendly CNH dealer.......
Well the gear is only 80 on eBay But the pump..best I can find is 1100
You might try a hydraulic shop. They may be able to replace the shaft and rebuild the pump.