My 1150C started making a popping noise when I'm pushing hard. I see the left track jump when it does it. I'm assuming I've got a final drive failure. Is this something I can tear into without needing a bunch of special tools? Is the pinion shaft something I can change without disassembling the transmission?
Track could be slipping on the sprocket.
I hope it turns out that easy. I'll haul it home and have my wife watch while I push.
One other thing I have seen cause this is a weak or broken recoil spring. Case had some weak springs in the 1150's.
On one 1150 that had a six way dozer we put a strong block of wood between end of blade and idler, the blade hydraulics couldn't move one side but could the other. Have to be very careful that the block doesn't slip.
Check your oil level in final drive, and check your outer bearing and flange seal just behind the sprocket for damage and oil leak if oil level is low. There are a few things that can go wrong with these finals.
So if the blade can move it the spring is too weak?
so if the spring is weak it lets the track jump the sprocket?
Yes
Yes, that is what was happening on that dozer.