Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using mobil 007 red grease in D7E final drive

MattR ยท 2019-12-09 20:06

Hi. Been years since I have posted here. I actually forgot all about this forum. Glad to remember it. I'm in upper Michigan, cold and winter now. One of my old D7s left final started leaking. The bearings were both just readjusted a month ago. They're tight. Anyway, what does everyone think about putting in that fancy expensive Mobil 007 grease to get through winger? I'll pull the final in the spring and fix it. But till then..... People put that stuff in everything else that has a leak with great results. Gearboxes, trannys, wheel bearings etc. Think it will get to all the bearings o.k.? Especially that outer bearing. Maybe some here have done it already? Thanks ahead, Matt

Replies4
  1. #1stars&bars442019-12-26 13:32

    I'm not going to tell you it's ok, oil gets down in the small tight tolerances, grease will not. But I have a D6D with same issue, I have been running grease in it limping along. We use it 5 to 8 hrs a month every 2 months or longer. It doesn't get used much anymore and I keep putting off that repair. Yes it can be done and will get you through winter. I wouldn't push my luck if you use that tractor daily.

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-12-26 18:44

    Grease doesn't circulate. If your planetaries are supported by needle bearings, they are gonna suffer. I would opt for an 85w140 which will leak much slower in the winter months, its still gonna leak, just slower.

  3. #3MattR2019-12-26 19:03

    Hi. Thanks for the replies guys. There are no planetaries in this system, but I agree it won't get to certain areas very well. Turns out I don't think I'll need that tractor this winter anyhow. I just scored a Cat final puller/ press. The whole system with attachments up to a D9. All for $1200. Thanks again

  4. #492U 34062019-12-26 21:49

    I've seen excavator finals get filled with grease. They get completely screwed when that happens.