Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150E Automatic Transmission Fluid Type

trooper632 ยท 2025-01-06 21:34

Hello all, I have a new to me 1998 USMC Case 1150E dozer, it has 350 hrs on it runs great but needs the Hydraulic fluid topped off because of a bad hose on the dozer blade. replaced the Hyd hose but cant really find one solid answer on the type of fluid. The manual says the transmission and Hydraulic fluid (for the blade) are the same and appears to be just ATF fluid. So Dextron or Mercron will work? Or is the Case Hytrans fluid any different, and help would be appreciated. It appears the Transmission filter has never been replaced because it is still pained green on the front side so i bought a case filter.

Replies8
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2025-01-06 23:55

    the military always used ATF for trans and hyd. fluid but civilian models used either TCH or Hy Tran. Get you a good AW 46 hyd. oil from TSC or local parts store.

  2. #2Shimmy12025-01-07 00:50

    Wouldn't a '98 model be a G? My 1998 model is a G.

  3. #3trooper6322025-01-08 21:59

    Sorry its an 89

  4. #4Shimmy12025-01-08 22:29

    There have been a few discussions on here, I've started a couple myself. These Case crawler transmissions originally called for Case TCH fluid. It is unknown for sure if Hytran will be detrimental to the clutch linings, some guys say yes, others say no. All I can say for certain is 30 years ago, we had an 1150C. We started using Farm-Oyl AgMaster fluid because the torque ran cooler, but at about 6000 hours we had to rebuild the transmission. We sold it a few years later, so that's that. I currently have an 1150G with about 7000 hours. My local CNH dealer can order TCH fluid, so that's what I use. I would personally not run HyTran, but that's just me. The unfortunate thing is these machines are getting so old, the shop guys that knew them are long gone. I like the tractor, for what I use it for it's perfect, a comparable newer machine would cost me $50k or more. I bought it for $17k, put ITR undercarriage on it for $7500, and have put 1500 hours on it with no problems.

  5. #5trooper6322025-01-09 16:33

    Well I havent run it yet replaced the hyd hose to the dozer blade and long story short the radiator was leaking so i removed it took it a radiator shop and he immediately showed my it couldnt be repaired just due to age and sitting, so he is getting a new core with all gaskets and going to clean the oil cooler, Labor and core, gaskets and bolts 2495.00. Not happy but cant do anything about it i just hope everything else will be good at least for a little while once its back in.

  6. #6Shimmy12025-01-09 16:59

    One thing for sure. They DO NOT like pushing in any gear other than 1st.

  7. #7trooper6322025-01-09 17:04

    Well i'm sure. Only dozers i am used to was when i worked for my father in high school he had a D8H and a D7E cable machines, love em, lots of power and weight, but i thought i got a decent deal on this one and wont be doing the heavy work as I did with the Cat's

  8. #8IceHole2025-01-09 17:34

    Hurts a bit in my soul when 1989 is considered old .