Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150G Reverse to Forward Delay

JJD ยท 2023-10-30 16:46

I have a 1999 1150g, when the fluid is hot it delays from reverse to forward, mostly in high range. It's like it's in neutral, especially if leaning back, if it's no too hot you can rev it and it will engage. But if you go to low, start moving, then switch to hi it's fine. Gets worse as the machine gets warmer. If you press the brake while shifting, left side I think, that side will go into a neutral state. It gets to a point where going from high to low won't work without delay too. The machine has around 7000 hrs, I've had it about 7yrs, and put around 100 hrs or so on it, and it's always had this issue so I rarely use it. Can't find anyone in my area to help with these older case machine transmissions. I've been reading about the teflon oil control rings on the transmission shafts. Looking for more detail on how to change them, pictures, diagrams, and part numbers. Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2023-10-30 20:59

    Welcome to HEF JJD; The way you are describing your issue it does sound like the seal rings are the culprit. Do you have a service manual? The repair of these rings isn't a hard job just remove the lower rear cap on the back of the tranny housing. These seal rings are metal with clip ends to connect them. Check inside the cap for grooves while you have it off. Be careful with the shim gaskets between the cap and the rear tranny cover. Item #38 are the seals you will probably need.

  2. #2JJD2023-10-31 00:07

    Wow, thanks for the info Coy! This issue has had me stumped since I bought the machine. I do not have a manual for an 1150g, but might have one for an 850g. I looked up the part number for the seals, would I need 3? Would these be on the output shaft the sticks out through the back of the machine with a cap in it? Do I need any special tools to change these seals? Thank you again!

  3. #3alrman2023-10-31 03:41

    Welcome to HEF @JJD Unfortunately, the 1150G does use the teflon seal rings.(1348976C1) The 1150E was the last model to run the steel ones. You will need to be very careful when fitting them. They need to be stretched over the end of the shaft to install. Heat them in hot water first. Once stretched they need to be carefully worked back into their grooves - use some shim stock (or even cut open a tin can) wrap it around the shaft & install some hose clamps around the shim stock & leave them fitted for 10mins or so. Just make sure the seals are properly in their grooves before you refit the cover. Use lots of lube - Petroleum jelly works well...... Best you try to buy the correct service manual - 850G is similar in that area, but not the same.

  4. #4JJD2023-11-04 22:07

    Thank you Alrman! I'm having trouble getting the ring over the main shaft. Tried warm water, unsuccessful. Then tried a heat gun to warm it as I stretched it, it went on, but twisted/rolled and stretched it too much. Have to order another, but I'd like to find the Case installing tools. I was able to get all the info on the 1150g on a jump drive from the dealer, so I have the tool part numbers. Unfortunately I can't find anything with the part numbers online. I try my local dealer on Monday and see what they say

  5. #5alrman2023-11-05 03:31

    I doubt whether CNH will have the tools & if they do they will be pricey.... I had tools made from nylon extruded rod. 1) A tool the same diameter as the shaft with a taper to expand the seal 2) A tool the same internal diameter as the cover, with a lead on one end to help work the seal into the machined groove

  6. #6JJD2023-11-05 09:13

    Alrman those would be great to have! Can you have another set made that can I buy from you??

  7. #7alrman2023-11-05 16:05

    The reason I posted that picture was to show what a simple tool it was to make. Any machinist can make one in a few minutes if they have material at hand. *Note - the seals/shaft size under the four direction end caps are a different size, so a separate tool needs to be made.

  8. #8JJD2023-11-08 21:48

    Thank you for the pictures! My mechanic buddy is looking into getting some tools machined since I'm busy

  9. #9JJD2024-03-09 12:46

    Well, after several months, I was able to get some "assembly tools" made out of plastic stock. They didn't work perfect, but I got the new rings on. Thank you all soo much for the help, and guidance! It works better, but I'm still getting an issue with 4th gear, especially in reverse. When warm, if I shift to reverse in 4th and get on the throttle quickly, it starts to move at full power for a second, then you feel the pressure cut out, and the machine will hardly move and feel like it's slipping. If you ease into the throttle very slowly, it will stay engaged and reverse at full power. It seems to only be with 4th gear. Do the hi/low shafts have the same rings that could need replaced? Are they setup in the same way as the fwd/reverse rings? I did notice a light groove in the cap for the ones I replaced, mainly where the center ring rides, had a distinct shallow groove. Thanks

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2024-03-09 13:23

    The hi-lo shaft does have the same type of seals.

  11. #11JJD2024-03-09 13:29

    Ok, thanks! Are they the same part # do you know? It's the caps above to the left and right of the lower one I just removed?

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2024-03-09 15:25

    I don't believe they are the same prt#. Watch the shims behind that cap you will need to reuse them.

  13. #13JJD2024-03-11 11:46

    Thank you. I think they are part #A175509. Do you have any experience with installing these rings? Would they install the same way as the forward/reverse rings by stretching, then shrinking them back down after installation? Would they be located right behind the visible bolt-on cap on the back of the transmission? Thanks

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2024-03-11 12:00

    Yes they install the same as the others and they are located on the end of the shaft