Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I don’t know anything about bulldozers

aighead · 2023-11-01 07:03

Hey, my neighbor, back in March, had a medical episode which has left him in a assisted living facility since then. His wife has said that, essentially, his brain has broken, and while it sounds like he can still get around a bit and feed himself and stuff he can not remember things and he is stuck in a loop. Quite sad. This neighbor is/was a skilled mechanic and has some stuff to show for it, but his wife has asked if I know how to go about selling a bulldozer he bought, as a project, a few years ago. He's done a fair amount of work to it, got it running but he was having trouble with the clutch packs (if I recall properly) on the tracks, with one being seized, so the machine wouldn't turn, just go forward and backward. It hasn't run since at least March, but probably earlier, when I helped move it into his carport. Regardless of any of this, again as I understand it, this is an older dozer, meant to do "some" work but also to keep the older machinery running and alive, he wanted to be able to take it to shows and stuff. Do you guys have any suggestions for what I need to learn about this machine or how to go about attempting to help the neighbor sell it? I don't have eternal time to do everything but it'd be nice to set her on a decent path to getting rid of it. It's not a small dozer either, which doesn't help. Any transport is going to be a serious endeavor and I assume there aren't a lot of folks out there willing to buy or work on such a thing. I'm pretty sure she'd be happy for me to climb all over the machine to find any badges or info, but I'm not at all sure of the work he's done, things he's removed or repaired, parts he has laying around, etc...

Replies19
  1. #1Vetech632023-11-01 07:28

    I would need to know what it is, serial number, and what condition it is. A few pics would be a great help.

  2. #2aighead2023-11-02 06:33

    I haven't gotten permission to climb on the machine yet, but I got this picture as I took out the trash last night...

  3. #3Rob Gunn2023-11-02 09:11

    Looks like an old Caterpillar? Maybe a D4? I would get on the antique caterpillar machinery owners club web and maybe find someone that would be close to your location and maybe interested in it. I was a member of that club a number of years ago and found many guys very helpful. acmoc.org https://www.acmoc.org

  4. #456wrench2023-11-02 10:31

    I would say IH TD9

  5. #5OzDozer2023-11-02 10:32

    Not a Cat D4 - It's an International TD-14, series 142. Built between 1955 and 1958. That's a really unusual blade setup, I think it might be an aftermarket Baker blade. International TD-14 Series 142 The International TD-14 Series 142 was a diesel engined crawler tractor built by the International Harvester company from 1955 to 1958 in the USA. For Company history, see International Harvester. In early 1955 International’s TD-14A crawler lagged well behind the class-leading Caterpillar D-6... tractors.fandom.com

  6. #6FWD2023-11-02 20:02

    It's not a 142 series, I have no doubt about that. I agree with 56 wrench, an early, prior to the 91 series TD-9. it

  7. #7CM19952023-11-02 20:14

    Interesting. Too small to be a push cat but has a push cat style blade. Some kind of special configuration?

  8. #8OzDozer2023-11-02 20:33

    Sorry, FWD, I have to disagree with your opinion. Below is a photo of an early (1941) TD-9. Note how it has a channel trackframe with the open side facing outwards. Aigheads tractor has a boxed track trame. Note also, the position of the cover over the track recoil spring. On the early TD-9, the track recoil spring covers extends well behind the rear carrier roller, almost touching the sprocket. On Aigheads tractor photo, the track recoil spring cover is level with the rear carrier roller. The idler on Aigheads tractor also has a peculiar design with projecting ribs in a disc-type idler. Early TD-9's have a spoke idler covered by a smooth plate guard. Most TD-9's are missing that idler guard and clearly show the spoked idler. And finally - the TD-9 has 4 track rollers, Aigheads tractor has 5 track rollers. Negative - International Harvester, TD-9 'TracTracTor' Crawler Tractor & #40 Harman Winch, 1941 Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in... collections.museumsvictoria.com.au

  9. #9FWD2023-11-02 22:10

    The pic of the 142 series has a different style air cleaner and for sure the hood is different. I had a 92 series that still had the spoked idler. It is what it is and I don't want to argue. The steering clutches rusting up is common with all of them. FWD

  10. #101693TA2023-11-03 06:15

    Wouldn't it be possible for the sheet metal and ancillary hardware to have been changed in all it's years? Could be a replacement hood and air cleaner from a different tractor, or could be a different track frame and undercarriage. I don't know and am not looking to pick anything; all I know it the tractor is an IH machine from it's basic outline. Never was around anything that small, (IH) as where I was working only had TD-25B series at the time.

  11. #11td14steve2023-11-03 06:16

    probably a 14A doesn't have the more modern styling of the later models' Could be a mix and match too.

  12. #12aighead2023-11-03 06:51

    Man, the amount of knowledge you guys have is insane. Thanks guys! The neighbor has talked to me about this machine a fair amount but I can only retain so much. I believe I recall him saying it was an IH. He did also mention that it had a weird blade setup on it, but don't recall what was weird about it. I'll try to get permission to examine it more closely over the weekend. Beyond the number plate are there other spots to take pictures of that would be useful?

  13. #13OzDozer2023-11-03 08:27

    Any close-up photos are worth getting - but try to get one of the ID/serial number plate. I forgot there was a TD-14A-141 before the TD-14-142. Below is an archived Redpower discussion about the TD-14A-141. Interestingly, the hood on the TD14A-141 in the photos on Redpower shows an earlier style hood - but the air cleaner is mounted on the side of the engine, not in front of the operator, as on Aigheads friends tractor. TD-14a vesus TD-14a 141 series Hi IHers, Question time, again. There is not a lot of information on the internet about them, but how different were the original TD-14a and the later TD-14a 141 Series tractors? Was it simply new styling or were there any significant technical differences? Anyone out there currently own a 141 Se... www.redpowermagazine.com Maybe Aigheads friends tractor is a "bitzer", with TD-14-141 or 142 track frames fitted to a TD-14 or TD-14A tractor. The tractor serial number will ID it. The TD-14 and TD-14A had serial numbers starting with TDF. Below is a late model TD-14 (a 1949 model) with a similar blade to Aigheads friends tractor. I'm starting to suspect this style of blade may be a Drott blade. Note how it is designed to be no wider than the tractor. Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com

  14. #14ih1002023-11-03 18:51

    I think it’s a 14A. Track frame is too long for a 9.

  15. #15R.D.G0132023-11-04 23:33

    The engine looks long enough to be a 6 cylinder which would make it an early TD 15 as the 14s were all 4 cylinder. What ever it is its a weird blade set up on it.

  16. #16td14steve2023-11-05 05:32

    I still think its a 14a with a later under carraige maybe more pics will show up.

  17. #17chidog2023-11-07 23:16

    I'm with the OP on this one. And I know a smitch about bulldozers, but nothing about this one. Only IH units I'd be interested in is TD-25, TD-40.

  18. #18JimInOz2023-11-08 03:10

    Take a look at the steeringclutch.com website. You'll see all the steering/brake parts they sell,plus they have some PDf info there too. And ,as previously mentioned,the REDPOWER FORUMS will be of great help too.

  19. #19aighead2023-11-08 06:51

    I'm trying to remember... I have seen the cylinders as he was messing with stuff and I think there were 6 but I may be wrong. I'm still awaiting approval to mess around on the machine. Dude's wife isn't terribly responsive to texts and she works a strange schedule, so I don't see her much.