Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 135 tracks

tootalltimmy ยท 2009-03-05 11:21

My new excavator arrived. It has ice lugs welded on it for the frozen north. What would be the best way to remove them? Cutting disc on a grinder or a cutting torch? Would one way be better for the tracks than the other? Thanks, Tim

Replies12
  1. #1ddigger2009-03-05 11:52

    I`d grind em.

  2. #2wilddanz712009-03-05 12:13

    why do you want to remove them? is it because of driving it over pavement? I would leave them they will wear off eventualy

  3. #3tootalltimmy2009-03-05 21:57

    Too hard on pavement and they take chunks out of the trailer deck when loading and unlaoading the machine.

  4. #4334 lawn co2009-03-05 22:59

    grinder-less of a chance of weekening the track pad.-plus its shiny:cool2

  5. #5fireman0502009-03-07 04:44

    i say use a grinder

  6. #6Canadian_digger2009-03-07 09:01

    I would try a grinder. But if that takes to long I would use torches. The lugs are not that big and it would not put that much heat into the pads.

  7. #7tootalltimmy2009-03-07 12:50

    I am going to try a grinder first. I have some cutting discs and will give it a go.

  8. #8rcn11thacr2009-03-09 16:18

    if you have access to one use a plasma cutter. It works faster than a torch and the heat affected zone is alot smaller than a torch.

  9. #9coopers2009-03-09 17:08

    Hey tootalltimmy, have you shown us a pic of your new machine? I don't think I've seen it yet.

  10. #10tootalltimmy2009-03-09 18:24

    Here it is

  11. #11D5G2009-03-10 22:08

    WOW, nice looking machine! Looks like you have a lot spec'd out. How is the track pad problem comming?

  12. #12tootalltimmy2009-03-11 01:18

    I am cutting the lugs off with a grinder using thin zip discs. I get more out of the 1/16" thick discs than the thicker cutting discs. I'm halfway done. It's still bloody cold around here so I prefer the inside house reno job I'm helping with.