Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does anyone have any leads on work in the Western half of Canada?

IronFlyer ยท 2009-03-05 13:34

Hey guys, does anyone have any leads on any work out there, projects going in / any companies that are still going right now? It is so dead here on the west coast right now I'm getting quite concerned. I've never had a problem having a job as an operator but there is no work here and hasn't been since the end of November

Replies20
  1. #1Frenchy2009-03-05 17:42

    You dont have a project for complete Highway 1 between Lake Louise, AB and Salmon Arm, BC. I heard something about it last summer. Frenchy:canada

  2. #2IronFlyer2009-03-05 18:48

    Thanks Frenchy. Yeah its supposed to be happening this year last I heard, but I haven't heard of it being a big full-bore project yet. Does anyone know is it underway (and if so who is doing it?), and is it being done a little at a time or is it a larger project?

  3. #3youngoperator2009-03-05 19:14

    there is a pipeline being put in from alberta through saskactawan into manitoba down into the states right now there are several different pipeline companys working on it . Ive also heard roomers of a new pipeline being put in up north by alaska some where

  4. #4ben46a2009-03-05 23:11

    Ill tell ya, Fort Mac is slowing immensley, its even noticable in the amount of traffic in the morning commute.

  5. #5IronFlyer2009-03-05 23:25

    I was wondering how it is doing up there with the falling price of oil. I was hoping that all things were still going, but there doesn't seem to be any more job postings coming from there recently. What I'd give right now for a 60+ hour a week camp job putting bush roads or the like in.

  6. #6Frenchy2009-03-05 23:36

    Try with North American Construction Group. They have always big project across Western Canada: oil, higway, pipeline, etc. Plus, they have an office In Vancouver just for you buddy! www.nacg.ca Frenchy:canada

  7. #7IronFlyer2009-03-05 23:54

    Frenchy, thank you very much!!! I had seen them working a pipeline this summer and completely forgot about them. They were almost too large that they were out of the scope of my job looking. I am sending off a request for employment right now. Thanks again for the help!

  8. #8swampdog2009-03-06 00:17

    CNN ran an item on jobs in Saskatchewan yesterday. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/03/04/saskatchewan.economy/index.html People say that so far Saskatchewan has escaped the recession. I do think that housing construction is slowing from last year's crazy pace, and the rest of the economy may follow. But for now things are OK. Here are a few things that are going on that might involve heavy equipment skills: The potash companies (PCS and others) are investing a lot in expanding their production capacity. The new Bakken oil field (light oil) in the Estevan area (SE Saskatchewan) is providing a lot of jobs. And the northern uranium mines (Cameco and Areva) are busy. I recently spent some time in a uranium exploration camp. The company flew most of their drillers and other employees in from Alberta and the Maritimes. A few even came in from Russia. Various infrastructure projects are also going ahead. The province just announced that they are fast tracking the four lane highway project from Saskatoon to Prince Albert. They also should be starting work on the new south bridge and circle drive in Saskatoon. And they are also beginning a new west bypass around Regina. It's been hard to find anyone to do anything for the last few years. A local guy who wanted a new lake front house built this winter, for example, hired an out of work crew from Chicago. They got work permits and drove up with their truck and enclosed trailer full of tools. If interested, some leads are at: http://www.saskjobs.ca/

  9. #9bobsmith2009-03-06 00:18

    Dead around Ohio 300 ahaed of me at union hall in dayton Ohio! Know what you mean It is getting scary around here to! Bob

  10. #10oriden2009-03-06 00:34

    you can also look at places like winn bay sand, a company that i personaly am bugging to take me on as an entry level HEO as im soon out of HEO school. 10 days 12h shifts 7am-7pm then switch 7pm-7am 5 days off in between. for any one on here in SW ontario tommrow friday march.6th at the waterloo hotel 11am-6pm there is a job fair for western canada if your intrested.

  11. #11IronFlyer2009-03-06 01:08

    Thanks guys for the continued leads. I am following them all up. I have sent out so many resumes these past couple of weeks I'm surprised my computer hasn't popped a fuse Thanks again, I want you to know I really appreciate it.

  12. #12bushcat2009-03-06 09:30

    oriden, Winn Bay Sand is a mickey mouse outfit that pays poor wages and treats their employees like crap. Bin there done that. That's why they are recruiting from all over the country, and not many locals work there. Nuff said.

  13. #13IronFlyer2009-03-06 14:44

    Swampdog I read that CNN article last night, it is well worth the read if anyone else is interested in what is going on in Saskatchewan right now.

  14. #14oriden2009-03-07 01:00

    i figured that but as a greenhorn fresh out of a training school im just looking for seat time, any thing is better then where i am right now:bash but i thank you for the heads up!

  15. #15IronFlyer2009-03-07 01:37

    The first company I worked for was such a company, and there were some very trying times but I learned tonnes of experience there. It was like being thrown directly into battle right out of basic training. I had the advantage of being trained by the company and a very good heavy equipment operator, I never went to HEO school. Looking back at it, I am glad I worked for them and wouldn't have it any other way. Out here at least, HEO schools aren't worth much, but I think in time the programs will get better as more formal apprenticeships get set up, or, possibly not, we'll see. Anyways, I sent out more resumes today. This is pretty foreign ground for me, I've never had trouble finding work in my working life, but there's a first for everything as they say.

  16. #16Tacodriver2009-03-11 13:52

    Last I heard out hear Dawson construction had gotten the contract for the last twinning between Banff and Lake Louise.

  17. #17oriden2009-03-12 01:14

    waiward, kidco, and sure way are all big earth moving companines in the west as well.

  18. #18IronFlyer2009-03-12 02:43

    Ok thanks guys for the tips, I'll follow them up.

  19. #19Vantage_TeS2009-03-15 06:14

    Kidco and Sureway are in hibernation mode right now.

  20. #20HoJay2009-03-15 22:29

    K2 mining has a big operation at kearl lake esso.