case 1450B I just bought this machine recently . It runs good and was pushing good. Trans fluid was low so I added 4 gal of Napa hydraulic tractor transmission fluid that said it meets case hy-trans fluid specs. I thought this was the correct fluid. It was getting around fine till I really started pushing hard then it just stopped and wouldn’t move forward or back. I let it sit there a day then it moved well enough to get it back to a flat spot and out of the way. After talking to the dealer I dumped the trans fluid, replaced the filter and the screen at the bottom, and refilled with case Cth fluid . Now it feels like it wants to go forward and back but it won’t. When I put it in forward gear it moves about 6 inches and the same in reverse. The dealer told me there is a little tiny screen that can cause havoc on top of the trans. I believe the hose it is connected to goes to a gauge. I pulled that out but there was no screen in there. My guess is the logger that I bought it from had it plug up and just took it out. I’m going to try and get the old logger out to help diagnose this problem as he knows this machine inside and out. But figured I would try this also. What do you guys think? Thanks, Lars
Some more information on this problem. No trans pressure at the gauge, either at idle or when I rev it up. In neutral or in gear. If i leave it in gear I can still turn the driveline by hand. No damaged lines that I can find. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Welcome to HEF @Larsgranstrom There is a number of possibilities for problem. I have looked at many of those modulator filters over the years & have rarely seen anything in them. First, How long was it "running & pushing good"? An hour? A day? Longer? Is the transmission temperature gauge working? Do you think it got hotter than it should? When you replaced/serviced the suction screen - was there any trash in it? Are all the transmission suction hoses in good condition - still a little soft? Able to be sealed properly with the hose clamps? Are there any signs of oil leaks around the suction hose fittings - these are sealed with orings, if they are wet, they will be sucking air while running. When the engine is running,& trans is in gear, can you hear any buzzing type noises around the transmission control valve?
Thanks for your reply. . Yes there are signs of leaks around several hose clamps under there but nothing bad and nothing new. It was running / pushing good for several days. The guy I bought it from said it sounds like the torque converter . I didn’t hear any buzzing sounds. Yes the trans temp works well and didn’t notice it getting hot.
Also, the suction screen did have quite a bit of trash in it but nothing that was too bad in my opinion. The fact that there is no trans pressure on the gauge makes me think a pump is probably bad.
"Quite a bit"....... a tablespoon? More? Was it steel? Alloy? Clutch plate material? Did you take pictures? Pumps don't usually work one day, then not the next - unless it completely fails, delivering no oil at all. However, If the pump was worn, it would have problems with efficiency if it was sucking air. After you have tried to run it for a while, does the transmission oil have bubbles in it? Any foaming?
Two things I'd check sense you are not showing any pressure I would make sure that the brake pedals are coming all the way back up that's the ones with three pedals. Also check and make sure your manual brake pedal is coming back up. More than likely though the modulator valve is stuck. Item 19 is usually the problem it sticks a lot lol. Item 10 is the culprit on this earlier model. When I worked at Case dealer we had a fixture tool and weight to adjust clearance using shims in valve assembly. You shouldn't have to worry about that though.
Item 19 on the last diagram also sorry for the wrong number.
Thank you for your reply’s and help. The brakes don’t seam to be stuck. They come back all the way. After I let it run for 10-15 min it will drive forward and back in low range. If i put it in hi range it will barley creep along either direction. Still no trans pressure on the gauge . The screen didn’t seam to have lots of any one type of material. Look like just years worth of junk that had accumulated. No air bubbles on the dip stick. I really appreciate your guys help with this !
On O On the back of the trans housing on the rear cover item 25 in top diagram is held on by 6 bolts there is also two lines that will have to be removed. Use a heel bar or some sort of pry bar to remove cap under that cap there are 3 sealing rings, item 40 in bottom diagram, there could be one or more broken. Also check the cap for grooves inside.