Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1450B

woodvalleyleonard · 2017-08-21 18:57

I recently bought a case 1450 dozer and after one hour of work it won't turn seems to loose hydraulic pressure. has anyone had this problem? if anyone would know where I can get a pressure tester for this model the case dealer doesn't have one and don't know what to do. need help anyone. aloha

Replies32
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2017-08-22 19:31

    How are you turning the dozer? Are you using the brakes or the trans control levers? When you are going straight does it veer to one side or keep straight. I'm thinking the problem could be in sealing rings on trans shaft. Oh BTW I've had 40 years of working on Case equipment.

  2. #2woodvalleyleonard2017-08-22 19:39

    when turning I put one in high speed and one in low. it goes straight when in same speed. it works perfect when cold and will work fine for an hour

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2017-08-22 19:55

    Ok good, are both tracks affected or just one? If both tracks are affected then you probably have a trans pump issue. What is torque converter temp and pressure?

  4. #4woodvalleyleonard2017-08-22 20:47

    not sure what temp is but trans pressure drops after an hour. both tracks are affected. I have the dozer at allied machinery right now but they do not have a pressure tester for a dozer of this age and they said they can't get a pressure tester I even offered to pay for it.

  5. #5woodvalleyleonard2017-08-23 16:55

    Coy I am stuck and really appreciate the post to help me should I let allied machinery just tear in to the trans without any test.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2017-08-23 17:26

    No don't do that yet. A quick and dirty way to test the trans pump is take the line loose from the trans filter back by the batteries and hold your thumb over the hose fitting while you have someone crank the engine without starting it. If you can hold hour thumb on the hose without getting a bath then the pump is probably bad, if you get a bath lol then the pump is good and then yes have someone look at it.

  7. #7woodvalleyleonard2017-08-23 17:46

    thanks I will try that. wish you were here Hawaii!

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2017-08-23 19:47

    Damn me too lol. You pay way for wife and I and we'll be there Ha Ha. What Island BTW.

  9. #9woodvalleyleonard2017-08-23 21:05

    we are on Hawaii island, the big island. if I paid your way with your wife and you stayed with myself and my wife and you fix my dozer. I pay for all parts and be your goffer something to think about lol.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2017-08-27 17:59

    Sorry I haven't been responded to your message. Another thought occurred to me. Can you take a photo of trans valve and send to me? Email [email protected] . There is a modulator valve in the trans valve that may be causing the problem. And we can talk about me coming out also.

  11. #11woodvalleyleonard2017-08-27 19:31

    I will take picture tomorrow. just let me know when you want to come.

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2017-08-27 22:18

    Ok I will let you know when I can come and waiting on the pics.

  13. #13woodvalleyleonard2017-08-29 14:54

    case did not send pictures they said today. one thing I did not think about if you came over I don't have the tool to do the job.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2017-08-29 20:30

    I was thinking of that also but there isn't much in specialty tools that I'd need except pressure gauges and when I come I'll try and send them ahead of time. It's alright about pics I looked it up on line to answer my own question.

  15. #15woodvalleyleonard2017-09-04 21:02

    just a thought would you be willing to sell you gauges or rent them. I don't have the tools to do the job so I am stuck. if I brought you over and found we have to pull the trans I would have no means of doing that

  16. #16woodvalleyleonard2017-09-04 21:40

    2 more pictures to follow

  17. #17woodvalleyleonard2017-09-04 21:41

    here are the other two

  18. #18Coy Lancaster2017-09-05 08:22

    If you have a place that makes hyd hoses they can make you a 1/4" hose that can stand 600psi. The trans only uses about 300psi. Then you can buy a 600psi gauge. As far as renting my gauges that is an option I'll have to come up with a price and get back to you.

  19. #19John Shipp2017-09-09 17:06

    What's with the corroded battery terminals pictures?

  20. #20alrman2017-09-16 19:24

    I would like to visit Hawaii, & know a bit about 1450's, can I join the party? How's the diagnostics going? Do you still need help on this? A flow meter is all you need to test the transmission charge pump, any repairer worth their salt should have one of these. A "dealership" without one of these tools should be considered - hopeless..... Is a sample of your transmission oil a bit silvery looking with some sunlight on it??

  21. #21markmc602021-11-22 09:37

    i'd like to know more about this problem as well, what was the fix?, and I am looking for a case hyd tester or, someone with the knowledge of it to explain what exactly the tester does in test 4 for and 850 trans pressure reg test. I have the book, gauges, flow meter, just loses me in that test. my 850 is not pulling in right track in hi, but it will in low, we currently have the dozer elevated and both tracks off the ground, right stops after a few seconds running in low, and barely moves a little in high, makes no difference forward/reverse. left tracks just spins its butt off. I also hear and noise in the trans when the right is engaged, I dropped the right track off the sprocket and the noise is still in the trans area.. I suspect an issue in the right hi/low shaft. I know we are going to pull the trans, new clutch discs and steels on the both hi/lo shafts and the forward reverse since we have access(old dozer). I also would like some one to help with low pressure in the trans, has anew trans pump but pressure is around 225(dash gauge). I know it is supposed to be 275(-+15) 260-275, my book dosent show how to adjust the regulator......just shim it up?

  22. #22Coy Lancaster2021-11-24 17:30

    Hey Markmc60; which 850 do you have? It kind of sounds like the shaft seals may be bad for the right track. They are located under the front shaft cover on the front of the trans housing under the floor plate. Post some pics if possible and a serial number would be helpful.

  23. #23markmc602021-12-03 14:22

    we checked them, as a matter of fact, one had the hook piece broken, we replaced it, but that did not fix the issue.

  24. #24Coy Lancaster2021-12-08 07:44

    If you can do pressure test at control valve that may tell you what you don't want to know.

  25. #25markmc602021-12-08 08:44

    we swapped the hoses at the control valve, the issues stayed on the right track, so its in the right side, my guess, burned up HI/LO clutch packs. our trans pressure (using the dash gauge) is only 220psi, according to the book it should be 275 +/- 15, so 260-290. we plan to pull the trans and bring it to my shop, beat with a baseball bat and see if that helps. kidding, we will open it up and look it over, there is a leak some where. has a new trans pump. Does anyone have a ballpark weight on the trans and the finals, might just bring it all back and take the opportunity to look over the finals as well.

  26. #26melben2021-12-08 09:40

    If you have a good working dash gage you can zero in on the problem, with warm oil all clutch pressures when checked individually should be the same regardless if your reading is not up to spec, if one lever position checks lower than the rest a leak is indicated in that clutch circuit. I however agree with ALR, a flowmeter is indispensible for this type of diagnosis and a pump test is in order. I am retired almost 9 years and have my own flowmeter, there has got to be one hanging around out there somewhere

  27. #27markmc602021-12-08 10:28

    there is no difference on the dash gauge when we go foward reverse in hi or lo, we blocked the dozer up and just let the tracks spin.......... in HI it will creep the right track a little bit1/8 rotation them just stop, in low it steady creeps but not smooth the left side, hauls ass in either position. well I sure would like to see inside the flow meter just to see what they are doing, how it works, Hell, I'll make my own. when I start looking for a "flowmeter" folks eyes glaze over and i get the deer in the headlights look.. wanna sell yours?...........think I could get a few pics of the inside the meter box to see the plumbing and what the valves are doing/controlling. you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

  28. #28markmc602021-12-08 10:57

    this is my link for the 850 no sense in waking the dead............... case 850 right track wont run in hi, looking for Case hyd tester ill cut and paste try to move these over there

  29. #29Coy Lancaster2021-12-08 16:34

    It's kind of odd that both hi/lo clutches are acting the same on one track. Of course stranger things have happened, possible broken clutch shaft or pinion shaft.

  30. #30markmc602021-12-09 13:58

    case 850 right track wont run in hi, looking for Case hyd tester use case 850 right track wont run in hi, looking for Case hyd tester

  31. #31markmc602021-12-27 09:07
  32. #32markmc602021-12-27 09:08

    I would love to get a flow meter for this. Can’t find one. Maybe pics and more info of yours I could build one. or lease, rent one. Any ideas?