Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3K starting problem

Vetech63 ยท 2017-08-21 19:18

S# FFF00174 This machine is hard to start, especially when it sits overnight. It will start without ether but it can take up to 60 seconds before it cranks up. I have good fuel flow, replaced the hand primer ( which is part of the filter base). No visible leaks or loose connections. Once the engine starts, it runs great and has its normal power with no excess crankcase pressure or flow, normal smoke from the exhaust.. It almost seems like the long cranking is helping the system build enough fuel pressure to fire off. Since I don't know much about these high pressure fuel systems, I was wondering if there was any type of return side restrictor or something else I may look for before I condemn the injector pump. The machine has 4009 hours.

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2017-08-21 19:39

    Looking in SIS it appears this engine has glow plugs, so the first thing I would be asking is do they work?

  2. #2Sully2017-08-24 18:32

    If your machine has an electric fuel system prime pump, try running it for about 100 seconds first. Then try starting the engine. If there is air in the system this should purge it out and it should start easier. If it starts easier then you will need to locate a leak allowing air into the low pressure fuel system. If it starts the same then you know its not air in that system.

  3. #3nowing752017-08-24 19:18

    If That's a common rail motor I have had that probably normally acts up worse when it's warm the injectors are bypassing.

  4. #4kshansen2017-08-24 19:38

    One question that I should have asked up front was, "Does it puff white smoke while you are cranking it for 60 seconds?" That would be an indication it probably is getting fuel. No white smoke would tend to say it is not getting fuel. Suction leak, bad pump, bad check valve or something in the supply side of the fuel system not right!

  5. #5Vetech632017-08-28 04:32

    Sorry fellas, I got stuck out of town and am just getting back on this. There is no electric supply pump that I can find unless it's hid really well. No smoke when cranking but once I start to see smoke it starts. That's why I'm thinking its a pressure problem on the high side of the system. I'm not sure how to tell if it's the njectors or the pump. Any of you know?

  6. #6Vetech632017-08-28 04:34

    And...it starts easier usually after it has initially cranked up. It's really strange.