Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1450b hydraulic spew

Tgreer85 ยท 2015-05-12 22:52

I have an 83 case 1450b that I bought a couple months ago. The first time I ran it for extended period it started spewing fluid out of dipstick. I changed filter hoping for easy fix but did not help. It has to get hot and be in a bind to start pushing the fluid out.

Replies11
  1. #1alrman2015-05-13 07:00

    Welcome to HEF Tgreer85! Just need to clarify, are you talking hydraulic dipstick or transmission dipstick?

  2. #2Tgreer852015-05-13 08:16

    It is the hydraulic dipstick at rear of machine.

  3. #3alrman2015-05-13 08:57

    Still not sure on "hyd dipstick" as the 1450B uses a sight glass (item#7). But oil would only come out if 1) it is overfull 2) breather (item#9) is blocked 3) there is a serious cavitation problem aerating the oil

  4. #4Tgreer852015-05-13 13:49

    Ok I was wrong it is coming out of the transmission dipstick.

  5. #5Tgreer852015-05-13 13:59

    Ok I was wrong it is coming out of the transmission dipstick.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-05-13 19:41

    Alrman's three reasons still apply, overfull, breather blocked, oil is foaming up... or possibly all three.

  7. #7Garrie Denny2015-05-14 04:11

    blocked filters maybe ?

  8. #8alrman2015-05-14 07:04

    There is a small breather (item#40) fitted to the dipstick tube - be certain it has not fallen out. Would pay to clean it if it is still in place. Another possibility is that a clutch pack is leaking alot more oil than it should be. With the transmission warm & at an idle, click through all the gears & be certain the pressure is the same for each gear selection & it takes the same amount of time to select. If you have low pressure or a hesitation - that may also be the issue.

  9. #9jaytech2015-05-15 14:48

    could mixing different types of hydraulic oil cause foaming? what is the correct type for a case 1450b?

  10. #10alrman2015-05-15 19:03

    Mixing hyd oils should not cause foaming. You should be using transmission oil. Depending on your climate. 10w if cold. Over here due to warm temps we use 30w & many use engine oil.

  11. #11Garrie Denny2015-05-18 02:46

    Or outlet filter 6 is mayor blocked,causing return fluid to over pressurize holding tank ?