Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1830 maintenance question

Armalite ยท 2013-07-23 14:41

I want to change the oil in the chain case. I found the drain and the fill plugs but I just don't know how much oil should be in the case. I was hoping there was an over flow plug like for the hydraulics but just can't find one. Thanks for your time

Replies6
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-07-23 17:16

    4-qt per side, check it against what you drain out also.

  2. #2alrman2013-07-23 17:32

    The parts manual doesn't seem to have a page that shows the chassis, which would usually show drain & level plugs :beatsme Look for a plug that is very close to the bottom of the chain case, usually an inch or so from the bottom. The oil level generally just covers the the chain that is nearest the bottom of the case.

  3. #3Armalite2013-07-23 20:05

    "4-qt per side" you say sheepfoot? "an inch or so from the bottom" you say alrman? Who is right???:beatsme The case is about 5 inches wide by 48 inches long 5x48=240 square inches 4qt = 231 cubic inches So the 4 quarts of oil would fill the case about 1.04 inches Thank you very much guys :drinkup

  4. #4Dmhdaz2013-07-25 04:56

    the operators manual states the capacity is 4 US quarts (3.8 litres) per side.

  5. #5NCPIPELINE2013-07-25 07:58

    Simple mathematics WINS again! GO TEAM!

  6. #6texsask2014-09-07 00:50

    If your 1830 sits outside and gets rained on be aware the chain cases don't seal very well , in freeezing weather I had enough ice to keep the chains from any movement til i thawed it out and changed oil .