Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1830 oil leak

shoeguy · 2012-03-21 19:09

I have a case 1830 that is leaking hydraulic fluid. The whole bottom of the machine is covered in oil I’m not much of a mechanic, and would like some suggestion as to where to start looking. Is there a common place were these start leaking?

Replies22
  1. #1alrman2012-03-22 01:50

    shoeguy - there is a myriad of hydraulic hoses in the belly of that skid steer & any one of them could be leaking ....... don't let it run completely out of oil as it will cost alot more than a new hose. Sorry I can't be more help, you need to start pulling some plates (backdoor/seat/floor) to get more of a look into it. You will need someone to look while the engine is running & try to spot a gush of oil.

  2. #2shoeguy2012-03-22 08:20

    Ok, so you’re thinking a hose. Not a seal or something more serious How do I get the “floor” off. I have the backdoor/seat off already.

  3. #3alrman2012-03-22 17:45

    The early Case skid steers were never 'easy' to work on - I'm not 100% certain about the floorplate configeration, but the parts book shows it as a bolt in item.

  4. #4shoeguy2012-03-22 19:15

    Here is a really dumb question, (don’t laugh to hard) How do I check the hydraulic fluid level????

  5. #5alrman2012-03-22 19:30

    I've never had the privlege to work on an 1830 - but have had plenty to do with it's bigger brother 1835. An educated guess at the pic below - usually one side of the uprights is fuel & the other is oil.

  6. #6shoeguy2012-03-22 19:42

    Thanks That helps a lot Where did you get the image? Got a service book I can download

  7. #7alrman2012-03-22 19:53

    There is a parts catalogue at casece.com - cursor on parts & service then choose search for parts. Type in model & you will see exactly what the parts book had printed.

  8. #8shoeguy2012-03-22 20:11

    Another great tip Thanks!

  9. #9Komatsu 1502012-03-24 17:06

    Shoeguy I sent you a private message. The oil is in both uprights. There is a crossover. There is no easy access like newer machines, you have to stand on your head pretty much. The oil is an odd spec. that my oil supplier crossed over to their brand. It's probably something actually common but I never researched it any further after my guy came up with their version.

  10. #10shoeguy2012-03-25 19:41

    well your right about standing on your head...... I got all the oil/slop/mess cleaned out of the bottom the machine. (I the bottom is not removable) I started it up and watch for any gushing leaks, but there were not any. It looks like there is more of a constant oozing of oil in front of the box that has the flywheel in it Anyone have any ideas?

  11. #11alrman2012-03-25 19:51

    That would mean you have a seal leaking at the input shaft of the tandem pump assembly. If that is the case, you have quite a challenge on your hands - it all has to come out to replace the seal. I'm not 100% sure - but on a small machine like that it may be better to remove the engine, (leaving the pumps in place) & replace the seal on the pump.....

  12. #12Komatsu 1502012-03-27 08:34

    I don't remember exactly but it seem like if the pump shaft seal was leaking it would leak into the flywheel housing. There is that cute little cover on top of the housing you can look through and you can check the chain coupler at the same time - everybody forgets to grease that thing. Another possibility is between the pump sections as I think that's pretty common. It could also be one of the low pressure hoses leaking.

  13. #13shoeguy2012-04-03 19:52

    there is no oil in the flywheel housing I got it pinned down the side of the VARIABLE DISPLACEMENT PUMP see pic's Think it can be fixed without removing the pump?

  14. #14shoeguy2012-04-05 20:50

    Well no one replied to my last post, so I’ll try this Has anyone ever used Lucas oil products hydraulic oil booster and stop leak? Does it work? Could it hurt something to try?

  15. #15alrman2012-04-05 23:32

    If it is leaking badly enough to fill belly pan, I would think the Lucas product would not be able to help the problem. As to whether it can be done without transmission removal - I can't say, but I do know from 1835 experience, it would not be a pleasant......there is no room to work. Is there any excessive movement at the pivot? There is a smaller oring (#36) on the id as well as the one you have marked.

  16. #16Komatsu 1502012-04-06 07:25

    I generally have no use for stuff like this but I have used lucas in two power steering systems in pick ups for steering box ouput shaft (pitman shaft?) slow leaks and it worked for several years. I don't think it would on something like this and really how much of the stuff would you have to use in that system to get an effective mixture? I've always let the dealer work on our hydraulics so can't offer any advice other than it is a nasty place to work and try to keep clean.

  17. #17shoeguy2012-04-06 15:46

    Thanks for the replies Has anyone ever had replaced those parts before?

  18. #18Guinter8102022-08-28 23:43

    Know this is a very very old post. I have a 1835B. But I appear to have a shaft seal leaking. Dripping from behind the chain and about 3 quarts laying under the engine. I am mechanically inclined. Was a auto and diesel tech for 13 years. How hard is it to pull the unit to replace the seal? I can’t seem to find any info or videos online. Any other things that should be addressed or looked at? The guy I bought it from didn’t know much but said he took it to case and they quoted him so crazy amount to replace a seal under the seat area and just kept the fluid full instead fixing it …. I would rather fix the issue.

  19. #19Old Doug2022-08-29 09:15

    I have a 1830 i would like to know if the 1835 is the same machine . The case has been a good machine but now i have a engine oil leak. I hope to pull the engine this winter i hate to be with out it.I wish i could be more help. I think they were good machines and didnt need alot of work and now the guys that did work on them are not around.

  20. #20alrman2022-08-29 18:37

    @Guinter810 The picture you attached shows a very different set up than what I recall to be standard on the 1835B. Is the engine diesel or gasoline? Case 188? or has the original engine been replaced with a Perkins maybe? There would usually be a CV joint made up of two universal crosses. Either way the easiest way to replace the input shaft seal at the tandem pump on that model is by removing the engine. OR at least moving the engine away enough to remove the coupling & gain access to the seal.

  21. #21Guinter8102022-08-30 07:46

    It’s a 148G gas engine, 4 cylinder. Thank you for your reply, I don’t appear to have any u-joints between the engine and pump. I found a parts explosion on Messick’s page. I’d imagine there may be either a shaft issue or shaft bearing issue. I’m at least prepared to replace them. I found a local guy who owns a equipment repair shop that is going to do the job for me at a reasonable price. Dropping the machine off and he’s handling everything.

  22. #22Old Doug2022-08-30 09:40

    I hope you keep use informed on the repair. It could help some one out some day.