Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1830 runs then diess

stevejeri ยท 2013-07-28 12:23

Runs great for a couple hours then dies. Still has spark, will hit with starting fluid. Took fuel line loose to carb, fuel pump still pumping. Must be something with carb not getting fuel to cylinders, but I can't figure out why it only does it when engine is warmed up good. After it sits a while it will start again.

Replies17
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-07-28 12:47

    Could have trash in the fuel tank, after running for awhile it moves back and forth and clogs or plugs the inlet fitting, once the suction is off it, drops free and will run again until it does the same thing again. If you think it's fuel, drain the tank, check the fitting and see how much crud is in it. Then I would work my way back to the carb.

  2. #2BillG2013-07-28 12:48

    Try taping on the float bowl while cranking, this will test to see if the float is hanging up. I have an engine that does this but haven't had time to rebuild the carb. Also if you still have the steel fuel line you may be getting vapor lock, this happens when it's hot and the fuel vaporizes in the fuel line creating a vapor lock.

  3. #3willie592013-07-28 13:56

    My God BillG, you're revealing my age! Had a '66 Chevy van, you know, the one with the engine in a doghouse between the seats, fuel vapor lock was frequent problem as the steel fuel line ran alongside of the block. Clipped a bunch of wooden clothes pins on the line, which created both a heat sink and an insulator as well, problem solved.

  4. #4BillG2013-07-28 14:20

    Hard to believe ain't it Willie, did you ever think that we would be posting things on an internet forum that seem so outdated now. I mean this stuff was sop a few years ago, well.......maybe more than a few years ago, hell it's been decades.

  5. #5willie592013-07-28 14:23

    You damn skippy! Bah ha ha hahahaha :drinkup

  6. #6BillG2013-07-28 14:28

    Did you ever have the doghouse cover blow off going down the road when a big gust of wind hit and the hold downs were broken? Think Keystone Cops.

  7. #7willie592013-07-28 15:08

    LoL, nope, but I did have the throttle linkage break once, had to flip the doghouse cover off and drive it back home by working the throttle lever on the carb. Like my right hand wasn't busy enough with the column shifter.

  8. #8slowstep2013-07-29 09:02

    willie59 do they still make wooden clothes pins . I do believe they were standard OEM an 1952 ford.

  9. #9NCPIPELINE2013-07-29 11:14

    This is all very amusing, and insightful. Love you Old Guys! opcorn

  10. #10mitch5042013-07-29 11:33

    Wait just a darn minute! Willie cain't be an "old guy"! He's older than me, but younger than my brother and sister. If he's an old guy I would have to be almost one. (BTW, they do still make wooden clothespins, I just bought some last week.)

  11. #11lantraxco2013-07-29 11:57

    This new gas with alkeyhol in it vapor locks much easier than the good old days leaded stuff. My fuel injected Honda Goldwing locked up in Yellowstone park near the top of a pass... I thought it was impossible to vapor lock an injected system due to the pressures involved, but it did it. Popped the fuel tank cap and the gas was literally boiling in the tank.

  12. #12NCPIPELINE2013-07-29 13:25

    Ya I had heard that also that it was not possible. But I myself have seen it as well. Mitch - if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be... LMAO :notworthy

  13. #13willie592013-07-29 19:27

    Mitch...I am, and you are. Any more questions?

  14. #14bill onthehill2013-07-29 19:32

    We are NOT old. We are more mature with vast vaults of knowledge. Now where are the line wrenches I used last year???

  15. #15slowstep2013-07-30 05:46

    SHUCKS BILL, where are the wrenches I used 10 min ago. I'm always saying " I know!!!! I laid it down right there". 30 min search later, dogone things in my back pocket. It can be a all day thing just trying to find the tools your using.

  16. #16NCPIPELINE2013-07-30 09:20

    LOL! HA! I am only 27 and I misplace things all the time. It does not help that my boss keeps me contained to a conex that is like trying to cram 85lbs of GOODNESS in a 5lb sack...:woohoo

  17. #17lantraxco2013-07-30 12:56

    Two things I have been more or less constantly looking for since my twenties: My dang gloves! And the wrench I'm holding in my left hand with some other tools. :Banghead