Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat like a bucking bronco

Steven Vitale ยท 2013-07-28 10:06

I have had a backhoe front loader which always served me well. I just got a Bobcat Skid Steer. It is an old Bobcat 632 with a replacement diesel engine in it. The machine has some leaks that I yet need to find and fix. My major concern is that using the machine is like riding a bronco. It is a 4 tire machine (not tracks). Turning causes the machine to jump and buck like crazy on both blacktop and gravel. It may be that I just need to learn to use a skid steer, but it seems so very unstable to me that I have some real concerns. Has anyone else found a skid steer to be so unstable.

Replies14
  1. #1willie592013-07-28 10:41

    I'm not familiar with the innards of a 632 as I've never worked on one, can't help much there. But you might check your tire air pressure, low tire pressure on pretty much any skid makes them turn with a bounce. Pressure somewhere between 50 - 70 psi might help with your problem.

  2. #2robin yates uk2013-07-28 10:42

    go slowly until you get the feel of the beast,

  3. #3Steven Vitale2013-07-28 11:46

    Bobcat like a bronco (bucks and jumps on both blacktop and gravel) I never would have given that a thought about tire pressure. I will check tire pressure and then try to come up the learning curve slowly.

  4. #4dozerman4002013-07-28 11:49

    Robin is right, Take it slow, some tractors are more touchy than others. Some brand new ones are touchy, Bobcat t-700 is one.

  5. #551kw2013-07-28 12:53

    If you can put a little down pressure on the cutting edge when turning it will help get rid of the bounce and jerk. Hard to do with a full bucket but can be done with an empty one.

  6. #6kshansen2013-07-28 13:47

    One suggestion is to wear the seat belt. Not only for safety but if you are bouncing around you will over control the steering controls. Also the levers that you steer with are not on off switches ease them in and out. If you push them in fast you will be thrown back in the seat and pull them out of drive which will cause it to stop fast which will rock you forward and this will cause you to shove the levers forward. This will keep going till you just let go. Easy in and easy out. We have a 743 that I believe is the big brother to your 632 and it is a smooth machine to operate. One other thing I just thought of is you mentioned the engine is not the original, if it is much different in weight than the original gas engine it could be throwing of the normal balance of the machine.

  7. #7slowstep2013-07-29 08:30

    I'm kind of on the same page as Kshansen, if there has been different engine installed, can definitely affect the handling capabilities of unit , as I had this same problem on an older unit I owned at one time.. eventually had breakdown where engine connected to pump. and pump failure.

  8. #8Rob Gunn2013-07-30 16:11

    My first Bobcat was a 630 about 20 years ago. I can tell you that machine would leave my arms black and blue from bouncing around in the cab all day. The trick is to take your time and dont make such sudden turns. I know you have lots to do in a short time but if you go to fast and start breaking the equipment (and you) then you aren't any further ahead. The newer Bobcats are much smoother but will still give you a jolt if you try to turn to hard. Also, some of the newer skid steers even have a high and low speed. Trust me, dont ever think about doing faster work with the unit in high gear.

  9. #9Steven Vitale2013-07-30 21:26

    Bucking Skid Steer Thank you for the many suggestions. Yes, the tires were low. One had less than 10 psi and one had 15 psi. I also have found as many of you suggested, that I need to "learn" the machine. Also I have found the steering arms to have a lot of play in them (I will need to take off the seat and see just what is worn. I did find the source of my oil leaks, they are coming from where the drive motors go into the chain drive box. I would guess there is an o-ring type of seal between the motor and the transmission. That said, is there any place on-line to purchase old model Bobcat parts. Again, thanks for all the help. Steve

  10. #10willie592013-07-30 21:41

    Aside from Bobcat dealer, the only source I know of aftermarket is Loader Parts Source. > http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bobcat-parts?oem_model=358

  11. #11stovein2013-07-31 08:08

    I had a 632 and the best thing I ever did was to go through and replace all of the swivels and bearings on the control sticks and linkage. If there is any wear in the linkage any movement of the sticks will be erratic. Doesn't cost much for the the parts either.

  12. #12Steven Vitale2013-07-31 09:29

    Great! Thanks, that is what I will do. They are very loose and sloppy, so that and the oil leaks are where I will focus. Steve.

  13. #13durallymax2013-08-04 17:57

    Keep the RPM's up and play with tire pressures. Nothing beats seat time though. Tires also play a role, however on a machine of that age you would have to really consider if better ones were worth the investment. Remember it is still a skid steer and they will never be the smoothest machines to run. This video shows the difference between Bias and Radials http://youtu.be/nW-IT009nU0?t=4m50s

  14. #14Steven Vitale2013-08-04 19:07

    Thank you to all that have responded. I finally have a handle on the machine. My problem was 50% my lack of experience, 25% tire pressure and 25% a worn slopy machine. I fixed the tire pressure, and now have some experience under my belt. Thanks to the help of all who responded, I can now operate the machine more smoothly. More experience needed and will come with time.