Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1830 will lift but won’t tilt

stevejeri ยท 2013-09-27 11:16

Won't tilt either way but falls forward when lifted off ground. Would this be a seal in the control box that is letting the fluid bypass on the tilt side?

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2013-09-27 16:12

    I would be looking at the tilt cylinders, sounds like you have either broken a cylinder rod or piston retaining bolt. A bolt may have even come loose. With the bucket rolled over in the dump position, rest the bucket on the ground. Remove the pins at the tilt rod ends & see if you can pull one of the rods out by hand.

  2. #2kshansen2013-09-27 18:34

    I agree 100% and I say the left side will be the one with the loose piston. Oh and be sure to put something under the end of the cylinder to catch the oil.

  3. #3stevejeri2013-09-29 22:15

    How did you know left side? The bolt broke holding the piston to the rod on the left side. I took the pin out holding the end of rod and when I pulled on it, it came all the way out (no bucket to catch hydraulic fluid though). Thanks for the help.

  4. #4alrman2013-09-30 06:22

    50 / 50 chance :beatsme

  5. #5kshansen2013-09-30 06:56

    Just a wild guess! I seem to guess right more times than I would expect. Were you able to replace the bolt and get the machine working again?

  6. #6stevejeri2013-09-30 17:36

    Got the bolt, but am going to put in new seals while I have it apart. Had to do other side last week and ordered 2 sets seals to be ready for when this one went out. Didn't know it would be this soon. This will make 3 out of 4 cylinders redone since I got machine, so one more and it should be good for another 30 years or so lol

  7. #7stevejeri2013-09-30 19:41

    All done. Up and running. Works great.

  8. #8kshansen2013-09-30 20:06

    :thumbsup:thumbsup Great!