Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1835 smoking please helppp

Blake Armstrong · 2022-07-17 18:57

So I have this case 1835C with a continental TMD20. 3 cylinder diesel I was using it for about two hours when all of the sudden I saw a lot of black smoke coming out of thetailpipe I checked the fuel I replaced the air filters and the fuel filters still doing the same thing I bought new injectors still doing thesame thing I got the injection pump rebuilt still having the same issue if I crack the fuel line at the number one injector while it isrunning with a high idle the smoke goes away To me the smoke looks black the back of the machine is all black the oil level didn’t reallygo down but today in the sunlight it almost looks like a bluish smoke however when I crack that injector line only on number onecylinder the smoke goes away so I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue is there something I’mmissing?

Replies41
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-07-17 20:19

    It sounds like you have a dead cylinder. How does engine sound is there a miss while running?

  2. #2Blake Armstrong2022-07-17 20:29

    Sounds good starts up no problem idles good does have a slight miss. When i raise idle up it smokes alotttt

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-07-17 21:14

    Swap the injectors.. the further away from the culprit cyl the better. Report back

  4. #4Blake Armstrong2022-07-17 22:07

    I replaced them with new doing the same thing but i did swap out an older injector and doing the same

  5. #5Blake Armstrong2022-07-17 22:08

    When i crack the line loose while its running the smoke stops

  6. #6BigWrench552022-07-17 22:34

    Pop off the valve cover and see if you the rockers came off for that cylinder.

  7. #7Coaldust2022-07-17 23:47

    Put #1 TDC compression stroke and shoot some compressed air into the injector hole and see where the air goes. Crankcase, intake or exhaust?

  8. #8Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 05:36

    Will take a look thanks

  9. #9Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 17:14

    You know your stuff! Found the problem. I guess I just need to tighten up is there any procedure should I do it while it’s running I guess there’s no lock nut on these bolts however the other ones feel a lot tighter than this one it’s not stripped though

  10. #10Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 18:33

    Whats the process to adjust

  11. #11BigWrench552022-07-18 18:41

    I don't know the procedure for adjusting the valve lash for your engine. But what I see on your rockers concerns me. The adjusters look to be regular bolts are not adjusters at all. There should be a ballstud with a screwdriver slot and a nut. Please remove one of the bolts and take a picture and post Please.

  12. #12Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 18:54

    They are just regular bolts, i find that very strange that theres no lock nuts. However i did put a wrench on the other bolts there all tight just this one is loose i had to stop snd cover it up due to Heavy rain. Will take more pics tomorrow .

  13. #13Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 18:56

    But the bolt does look like it was made for the valve stem

  14. #14BigWrench552022-07-18 18:58

    That's not good. If you don't get the proper adjusters then you will continue to have this problem. Plus possible damage to your engine. The others may be tight because the cam has them loaded.

  15. #15BigWrench552022-07-18 18:59

    Does it have a ball on the end? It will need a jam nut for sure.

  16. #16Blake Armstrong2022-07-18 19:55

    It has the ball on the end of the bolt. Just found this on messicks shows same bolt no nut

  17. #17BigWrench552022-07-18 20:49

    That's interesting. I never came across a engine like that. I wonder how you would keep it from backing off again? If you don't have a manual for your engine. My suggestion would to put each cylinder at top dead center and set your valve lash. Shouldn't be much more trouble with it only being a three cylinder.

  18. #18Blake Armstrong2022-07-19 05:49

    I was thinking lock tight or adding a adjustment lock nut

  19. #19BigWrench552022-07-19 06:33

    There may not be enough room for the nut. And if you use loctite. Use the blue locate.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2022-07-19 07:34

    If using loc-tite, BOTH surfaces need to be de-greased.. use brake cleaner or starting fluid & blow dry.

  21. #21Blake Armstrong2022-07-19 09:18

    This is the bolt for the rocker

  22. #22BigWrench552022-07-19 09:52

    That is a first. I never seen a set up like that. Degrease the surfaces and use blue loctite. If you know your valve lash. Then put each cylinder at tdc and adjust accordingly.

  23. #23Blake Armstrong2022-07-19 18:23

    Dont know the valve lash. I cleaned both surfaces with brake cleaner and applied some blue loc tite going to let it cure for a day. See how this thing runs in a day. Thanks for all the help

  24. #24BigWrench552022-07-19 18:32

    You should set your valve lash to its proper settings. To loose and you will get a dead cylinder and broken or bent push rods. To tight and you could lose compression or cause the cam lobe to wear faster. There may be a tag on the valve cover that will tell you the valve lash.

  25. #25Blake Armstrong2022-07-19 21:03

    Well I didn’t start it yet. I cant seem to find anything online (manual). No tags on the valve cover

  26. #26BigWrench552022-07-19 21:24

    These specs are for the gasoline version of your engine. So use it as a basis. Intake is .014" Exhaust .018" Put one of the other cylinders at tdc and check the clearance of valves and see how close it is to these specs. Or at least adjust number 1 the same.

  27. #27Blake Armstrong2022-07-20 05:48

    So if i put cyl 3 at tdc then i adjust number 1? Its very hard to see the crank pulley on this machine the cab doesn’t tilt or anything. If both valves are closed on 3 i should adjust number 1?

  28. #28BigWrench552022-07-20 07:15

    Each cylinder has its own tdc. If the cylinder is is all the way up and both valves are closed. Then that cylinder is at tdc and that is the one you want to adjust.

  29. #29Nige2022-07-20 08:00

    And if a particular cylinder is at TDC and both the valves are open then turn the engine one complete revolution in the direction of rotation and you'll be in the correct spot. If the marks on the flywheel are difficult to see then get one cylinder so that the inlet valve is opening and the exhaust valve is closing. When they are both rocking at the same time that will be TDC on the exhaust stroke. Turn the engine one more complete revolution and you'll be pretty close to TDC on the compression stroke. A 3-cylinder engine you can't put one cylinder on TDC and then adjust the valves on another cylinder like you can on engines with 4 or more cylinders.

  30. #30Blake Armstrong2022-07-20 09:24

    Would it be desired clearance ?

  31. #31BigWrench552022-07-20 09:36

    I don't know what the specs are for your engine. I am just don't know enough about your engine to say with confidence that is it. If it were me I would check the other cylinders and run number 1 the same. As far as I know those aren't giving you any problems, so go with what is working.

  32. #32Blake Armstrong2022-07-20 11:20

    Will do thanks !

  33. #33Nige2022-07-20 11:24

    No. That is the specified/desired clearance between the stem of the valve and the bore of the valve guide in the cylinder head, not the clearance between the top of the valve stem and the rocker arm.

  34. #34Tinkerer2022-07-20 14:22

    You could prolly replace the rocker arm and bolt and not worry about locktite.

  35. #35alrman2022-07-20 18:25

    That type of set up has an interference thread they are meant to be quite firm to turn when adjusting. The Case 188 & 207 engines are similar. I wouldn't trust the loctite to hold it long term. Another vote for replacing the rocker arm. The tappet settings are .012" & .018"

  36. #36Blake Armstrong2022-07-20 20:55

    Thanks loc-tite temporally orderd new rocker. Thanks for the help everyone

  37. #37Tinkerer2022-07-20 23:02

    Have you turned all of them for a tightness check ? If one is junk others may be getting loose to. What I mean by loose is the tightness of the interference fit of them.

  38. #38Blake Armstrong2022-07-21 05:57

    Yes they are all a little out of adjustment. Adjustment would deff help. Waiting for new rocker arm and bolt then will do them all. Machine really sucks to work on cab doesn’t tilt

  39. #39Old Doug2022-07-21 11:08

    I have a 1830 its a deal to work on. Mine is gas and i hear parts are hard to find . Its been a great machine but i fear the day i have a big problem.

  40. #40alrman2022-07-23 01:23

    @digger242j @willie59 There seems to be two threads running with this same problem - HeavyEquipmentForums Could you delete one or combine them please Thought my dementia had accelerated way earlier than planned ... Thanks Guys!

  41. #41thepumpguysc2022-07-23 13:08

    I feel the same way when I go to different forums and see the exact same question..